My Livingstone Line

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: My Livingstone Line

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Torrie,

I have unfortunately have nothing much further to add. You are clearly on the right track with your research to date. The only thing I have to add is that your ancestor Allan Livingston was born in Morvern Parish according to the 1851 and 1861 Census not lowland Lanarkshire and there is an error in our Morvern Parish baptismal entries. THeir first child was Patrick born abt. 1828. Allan Livingston and Janet McInnes were married in 1827 in Morvern according to the Family History Library IGI. The following year Patrick was born. Acccording to the original record I checked he was the son of Allan and Janet McInnes. The correct family of Allan and Janet Livingston was:
Patrick b.1828
Katrine or Catharine b.1829
Mary born 1831
Duncan b.1835
John b.1837
Ann b.1843 or 1844

In the 1841 and 1851Census Allan Livingston b. 1796 in Movern is living in Lochaline, Morvern Parish. HIs Mother Mary is still living at the advanced age of 90 in the 1841 Censu As you correctly state Mary his mother is Mary Cameron as noted in Allan's 1867 death record. In 1861 Allan Livingstone is living at Cadder Western District, Cadder Parish, Cardenoch, with daughter Catharine and son Duncan. As you said he died in 1867 in Kildevaig, Kilfinan Parish, Argyllshire, the informant being his son Duncan.

Allan Livingston laborer died age 78 years October 29,1867
Kildevaig, Kilfinan Parish, Argyll
married to Janet McInnes
Parents: Duncan Livingston and Mary Cameron
Notice that his death information would make him born abt. 1799 which does not match his birth date of about 1796 from the census records but it is clearly the same person. This is one of the frustrations of working with census records. Often is an age descrepancy with another record. I cant really say which one is correct. I assumed from the census records he was born abt. 1796 or 1795.
Just to be clear in the 1841 Census and 1851 Census Allan is living in Lochaline Village, Morvern Parish in 1851 and 1861 Census the census taker recorded that Allan was born abt. 1796 in Morvern Parish not in lowland Lanarkshire. He apparently lived and worked for a time in the early 1860's in Cadder Parish, Lanarkshire but your ancestor is acutally of Morvern Parish,Argllshire origin according to the census records. That being the case Duncan Livingston and Mary Cameron likely also lived at Morvern in the 1790's at least.

regards,

Donald