Tiree Ancestral Research

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Kyle MacLea

Tiree Ancestral Research

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Good information about the Isle of Tiree: http://www.tireegenealogy.com/

There are long historical links between Tiree and Mull. Given our Mull McOnlea/Livingstones, there may be some useful information or context for Mull researchers there.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Tiree Ancestral Research

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for that. I took a quick look through the early baptisms and marriages and did not see any Livingstons suggesting there were very few living at Tiree. There were Mcleas in the 1740's and Livingstones in the 1830's in the records of the Isle of Luing after the families had changed their name to Livingston. We are trying to get the original McLea documents from the 1740's from the Isle of Luing. It was some kind of tenant roll or something like that.

regards,

Donald
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Donald,

It may be worth contacting the Luing History Group. I can send you the email address of the secretary if you wish. I think I sent you all they had back in the autumn, ie the Breadalbane rentals for 1730 and 1834,but they might have the 1740 ones as well if they exist. The council offices at Lochgilphead may be another place to try.

Jill
Jill Richmond
Canadian Livingstone

HI Jill,

Yes I think you did. Sorry I meant 1730. Nice that comparative info of our clan - Mclea tenants in 1730 and their descendants in the early 1800's as Livingstons. A good example of how the name change affected highland Mclea islanders in Western Argyllshire. Yes I wonder if they have other 18th century documents pertaing to Isle of Luing Mcleas. Not a bad idea to contact them.

regards,

Donald
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hi Donald,

They do hold some quite interesting documents. Whether or not these apply to MacLea/Livingstones, I'm not sure. Anyway its worth anyone with an interest in Luing looking at: http://isleofluing.org/pages/luing-history-group.php.

However, I do not think that they hold any OPR records of burials, because in spring 2003 they decided to undertake recording all the gravestones in Kilchattan kirkyard, and in the preface to their book they say: "It was recognized by the committee that this was a worthwhile historical task to accomplish because all the old parish registers of burials in the parish had been lost, so their loss is a considerable blow to family and local social historians.

"Since 1st January 1855 when the system for compulsory civil registration was put in place, the position has considerably improved but even so the civil records tended to be incomplete in some areas. This was because although it was a legal obligation for a family member to register every birth, marriage, or death, the law was not enforced for some decades!"
Kilchattan Kirkyard,
published by Luing History Group

Incidentally, there are 36 Livingstons, 7 Livingstones and 1 McLea buried in the kirkyard at Kilchattan.

Regards,
Jill
Jill Richmond
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jill,

Thanks for that info. In many cases we have same problem with old pioneer cemeteries here. Often there are no surviving records pertaining to early pioneer burials so local or County historians or members of historical societies take on a project to transcribe family information from those old stones still in existence and legible and essentially try to recreate some sort of cemetery list. A great many volunteers have recorded information from most of our cemeteries which is backbreaking and tiresome work no doubt. Probably quite a bit of eye strain as well as some of the really old stones I have often found very difficult to read.

I have been to the old cemetery of my mom's family in Northern Ireland and all our ancestors stones are still intact and legible going back to that of my great-great-great-great grandparents. I dont know where the family lived before that. The current cemetery is interestingly built upon the original parish cemetery before the reformation and there are ruins of original walls of the old cemetery, a dove tower and an original abbots house still standing by the cemetery. Very cool.

regards,

Donald