Dunedin, New Zealand

Public Forum for discussion or comments on Gatherings around the world. This could include Clan gatherings or other Scottish or Highland festivals.
Forum rules
Any Clan, Scottish, or Highland Gathering can be discussed here.
Kaye Saunders

Dunedin, New Zealand

Post by Kaye Saunders »

The Highland Games, run by the Caledonian Society of Otago, will take place at the Caledonian Ground, Dunedin this coming Sunday, 28 November from 12noon to 4pm - entry charge $10.00.

I thought I would go along and see what is there in the way of Clan Representation and see how we can be involved in the future.

One thing that appears to be on the programme that I don't know happens in any other part of the world (but I stand to be corrected) is the Gumboot Throw. I'm really looking forward to the highland dancing and the pipe bands. Will report back next week.

Kaye
Kyle MacLea

Re: Dunedin, New Zealand

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Kaye,

Never heard of the Gumboot Throw--would love to hear more!

Here's the thing: Not sure exactly what the NZ/AU Chapter is up to these days, and whether they have had anyone attend games as Clan Representatives or not.

Here in the US, Greg Livingston has coordinated our Highland Games this year--and we've managed to attend 5 in our first year! (1 in Arizona, 3 in Colorado, 1 in Oregon). I'd say that's pretty impressive. Greg's beginning as Games Coordinator has indeed been very fruitful--and mostly due to his own hard work and diligence and the assistance of David and Ginger.

I've appointed Hamish Mcleay as our Games Secretary for Scotland and he's looking to begin the prep to attend at least 1 Games in Scotland next year. That should be exciting!

I don't want to step on any toes within the NZ/AU organization, but if you need advice and would like Greg's help in maybe getting a Clan Tent set up for next year, both of us would be at your disposal. Let us know if there's anything the Society can do to help you. We'd like to arrange better communication between the NZ/AU Chapter and our international Society but so far we haven't done well at coordinating just yet. But would love the opportunity to have better coordination and/or assistance!

Regardless, we'd love to hear how these Games go and if you have any thoughts on getting a Clan Tent going at some point!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Kaye Saunders

Post by Kaye Saunders »

Sorry this has taken a while to write up - and now I'm not sure I can figure out how to upload some photos (which is annoying for someone employed in a Computer Science Department :D ) but if I can't figure it out at the end then I'll devise a webpage and put up a link to it.

Well the 28th was a glorious day in Dunedin - the sun was shining brightly and it must have been the hottest day so far this side of winter. I got sunburnt just in the shortish walk from the car to the grandstand and back again. I would have enjoyed it more and got out and about more if I'd gone with someone, but never mind.

Firstly, I was sad to see that there wasn't as good a turnout as I'd hoped. I suppose there'd have been about 200-300 people there but those were mainly connected with those who were competing and for a city that prides itself on being the "Edinburgh of the South" I thought the turnout was very low. The only advertising for the games was about two days before hand, although I did note a radio van when I was there, but I'm not sure that they were reporting direct from the grounds.

Competitions held were: carrying the stone, tossing the sheaf, caber toss, running (from 100m to 5km), deadweight carrying, gumboot throw, tug of war, highland dancing, and marching, and for the children there were sack races and egg & spoon races. The competition was all completed with the "kilties dash" but I didn't stay till the end to see the race that was open to only those who wore a kilt. Also on the agenda was a piping competition, but it seemed to me that it was only the junior pipe bands that were competing as they all looked so young, and our pipe band from down Riverton way wasn't there. The day ended with the massed pipe bands.

As the games came at the end of Scottish Week (more like Scottish 10 days - is this a NZ thing, or do other places have Scottish Weeks?) there had been a week of different activities that were attended by "princesses" and at the Games the "Queen of the Heather" was crowned.

A little explanation on two of the activities - gumboot throwing is sort of like throwing the discuss but it's done with a gumboot - the typical footwear of a lot of New Zealanders - especially farmers and freezing workers - but you will know them better as Wellington boots I believe. As for marching - this is a sport that belongs to Australia and New Zealand I believe. It is a female only sport that once was extremely popular but their numbers have dropped in the past decade too. Teams of between 7 and 10 girls perform three marching routines - one is technical, one is freestyle marching and the final one is more for entertainment it would seem, it brings in almost dance steps. The girls are kitted out in uniforms and their appearance is marked as well as the marching. The girls compete in age groups and the tiny ones (under 7?) are gorgeous to watch. We have some very good teams in New Zealand and together with Australia they have often been selected to perform at the Edinburgh Military Tattoo (but not on any of the 3 times I've been there).

Now, as to Clan representation - there was only one clan present, the Donald Clan had come up from Milton (40 miles south) and had a table there, but I didn't notice any queries going to them at all. They had their banner, and a little material on the names in the clan, and the New Zealand Donald newsletter (a really glossy affair), but basically they just sat and watched what was happening. I went and chatted with them and they said that clan numbers of all the clans was really low these days in the Dunedin area - evidently the Campbells only have one member and they said there was one clan they thought had disbanded but it had been advertising a dinner during Scottish week.

All, in all, it was a brilliant day but I'm just so sad that there was hardly anyone there to experience it - and I don't know if that is the normal number that would turn up.

Kaye
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Kaye,

In the Christmas rush last year, I somehow missed your summary. Thanks so much for going and finding about Clans and their experience at Dunedin!

I'm not aware of any Scottish Weeks in these parts... except Tartan Week in New York.

Sounds like a beautiful event, if sparsely attended. Please send us more of these updates if you do attend others!

Would you be interested in having this update included in a newsletter? We haven't had a lot of Australia/New Zealand news, and this would be a great addition!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Kaye Saunders

Post by Kaye Saunders »

Hi Kyle

You may include anything that you think is interesting - there's nothing specifically Livingstone oriented in it, but some of it our members may find the way we do things of interest.

Just realised that I've never set up a webpage and linked it with the few photos that I have - I couldn't manage to upload them to the forum - maybe I'll have another try at that - it really shouldn't beat me :D

Kaye
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

If you need help with the uploading, let me know, Kaye!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA