Pleasanton CA Scottlish Highland Games

Public Forum for discussion or comments on Gatherings around the world. This could include Clan gatherings or other Scottish or Highland festivals.
Forum rules
Any Clan, Scottish, or Highland Gathering can be discussed here.
livingstoneancestry

Pleasanton CA Scottlish Highland Games

Post by livingstoneancestry »

Hi All. Just got back yesterday from our trip down south to Pleasanton CA for the Scottish Highland Games presented by the Caledonian Club of San Francisco

It was their 146th annual Scottish Highland Games. One of the oldest in the US. As well as the largest on the West Coast and possibly the largest in the US with an estimated attendance of 50,000. It was a two day event held on Saturday September 3rd and Sunday September 4th. There were I believe 93 clans present. We participated in the Parade of Clans on both Saturday and Sunday.

This event hosts all types of fun activities. Includes the usual Highland Games such as the heavy events, piping and drumming, and dancing competitions. Also included Shinty, Rugby and Soccer. A whiskey tasting event and a children's area. and lots of of musical entertainment including Brother (they were at the Seattle Enumclaw games too) and of course lots of shopping

Unlike the Seattle games where the clans were split into two areas, one at each end; at the Pleasanton games all the clans are in one central area. In CA also, unlike WA, you could walk around with cups/glasses of beer/alcohol. Here in wA we have a beer garden and pubs only. (also charged for the programs-fund raiser)

Very hot weather, at least for me. in the mid 90's if not low 100s.

We had 4 possible relations come and sign in at the tent, two each day. They were provided with info on the DNA testing and the Clan Society. One of them the 1st day was so glad to finally see Livingston(e) was there. Second day, similar comment from someone who said it made his day finding us.

The clan parade was very well organized. Someone came around prior to the parade to let us know where and when to line up. Then came around to make sure we were in alphabetical order, plus we had at least 3 people guiding us thru the whole process of the parade. Only slight problem was if you didnt have a big enough flag/banner in the parade, the clan announcer could see your banner/flag and didnt announce your clan (he was up on a platform and we were on the ground level).

Hope to have a few photos up soon http://www.caledonian.org/games.html

Suzanne

ps if I could find another games in CA either the weekend before or the weekend after these games (including central or slightly southern CA) it would be nice, then I could take the week off and go to Disney between the games events
Greg Livingston

Re: Pleasanton CA Scottlish Highland Games

Post by Greg Livingston »

Suzanne, it sounds like the Pleasanton festival was a good time. I do have a list at home of what is happening in all the states including CA, OR and WA. I will make a list of those in your area and send that over to you.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
livingstoneancestry

Post by livingstoneancestry »

Hi Greg

I have some of the Games info. The website for the Seattle Scottish Highland Games Association has some information and a listing by month. Includes ID and MT or at least a few. There was also I think a directory put out maybe last year by a local group here near me that has something. But as always any information you would like to share is very much appreciated

thanks, Suzanne
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Hi Suzanne,

Very glad to hear that things went well for you (at least at the Games!).

It's amazing how old this festival is, and I'm really glad you were able to make it and get the word out about our Society and Clan. Thanks again!

If you have any pictures to share from here or Enumclaw at any point, I'm sure we'd enjoy seeing them at some point--but you are busy, so no worries at all!

Thanks for letting us know how it went, Suzanne! Nice job.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

Kyle, Suzanne has sent me some information and pictures from all the games she has attended this year which I will be putting into the article for the next newsletter. She also indicated that she will be posting pictures later.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Great!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com