Celtic Festivals, Highland Games and Clan MacLea

Public Forum for discussion or comments on Gatherings around the world. This could include Clan gatherings or other Scottish or Highland festivals.
Forum rules
Any Clan, Scottish, or Highland Gathering can be discussed here.
Greg Livingston

Celtic Festivals, Highland Games and Clan MacLea

Post by Greg Livingston »

It is that time of year, again, to start thinking about Celtic Festivals and Highland Games. There has already been one in Florida with another this weekend and a 3rd next weekend. Arizona and California follow up with next month and so it goes until next December. Almost every state in the US and almost every province in Canada will hold at least one Celtic event during the year, some have as many as 20 or more. Not all festivals or games have clan tents but most do. Within 60 miles of my house there are five that I will be setting up our clan tent this year and that is not all of the festivals in the area!

I know that one of our volunteer Conveners intends to go to several festivals/games this year with some of her intended targets being to cross over the border to visit. Another is staying closer to home but is still intending to be at more than one this year. Our Clan Commissioner, Kyle, is moving during the summer and will probably miss most of the fun this year. BUT, next year he will be in the perfect place to be at one of the larger festivals.

Hosting or assisting at the clan tent at one of these festivals has been fun, entertaining and educational. You meet new people, make new friends and, when away from the tent, listen to great piping or other music and watch a different type of athlete than what you see on TV. There are various Celtic and other vendors to pour over their offerings, food vendors with varied offerings and just general fun for young and old.

Many of you live close to similar events and have probably attended them. But most of you have probably never seen Clan MacLea (Livingstone) at any of these events and that is why I am posting this. We need more volunteers to be Conveners in various parts of Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand and even the United States. We also need volunteers to assist the Convener so that they may have a break to visit the rest of the event for an hour or two. If you want more information or are interested in either being a Convener or assisting a Convener please email me at games(at)clanlivingstone(dot)com with the event information and whether you want to be the Convener or assist. Just change (at) to @ and (dot) to . before you send. If someone is already a Convener for that event I will put the two of you in touch to work together. For those events where we do not have a Convener, I will be able to supply you with all the information needed to get started.

Let’s make this the best year yet for Clan MacLea (Livingstone) at Celtic Festivals and Highland Games!
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
livingstoneancestry

Re: Celtic Festivals, Highland Games and Clan MacLea

Post by livingstoneancestry »

Hi Greg

Victoria Games in May are out for me, sorry. Need to still reapply for a new passport, mine expired back in september and I'm somewhat in the middle of a last name change. May try for next year. they sounded really nice. No charge to be present I dont think and torchlight type greeting Friday night and a couple other things. The other Canadian trip to the Glengarry games may not be on this year either. Not positive yet. Had to pay the IRS this year, wasnt expecting that, so my vacation maybe out the window.

The next games for me maybe the Newport Celtic Festival in Newport Oregon. Its the weekend of June 8th to 10th. I'm still deciding. Have to decide really soon. my request to be present needs to be in by the end of next week, so I have to decide this weekend. going to do the Seattle/Enumclaw Games of course. Really want to go to Pleasanton CA again, will take a rental car next time after the incident last year. The others I'm looking into are Skagit Valley here in wA, not too far away. Have heard nice things about it. And the Portland games also in July

Suzanne
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

Suzanne,

I fully understand. Any of them you go to is great. Kyle should be out there for the Portland games and I'm sure would enjoy meeting you and Ginger if you can be there.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

It looks like there's a chance I could be there for the Portland games (July 21), but I might not be moved out yet. It will depend a lot on our moving schedule, which we won't know until a lot closer to the date....

But if not, I will try to make another games if there are any later in the summer, etc.

And if not--there's always next year!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
livingstoneancestry

Too bad I'm not like in CA say near Fresno. There are about 12 Highland Games within a 300 mile radius from Fresno. Cant remember the exact locations without finding the list, but I believe it went just north of San francisco a little, all the way south down to maybe San Diego. Not sure if it included Nevada trips or not.

Suzanne
livingstoneancestry

Its official, well almost....(have to actually print the forms and mail them with any payments) We're going to be represented at the Newport Celtic Festival and Highland Games in Newport Oregon, held the weekend of June 8th-10th and of course we're going to be represented at the Seattle (Pacific Northwest) Scottish Highland Games again this year. I also have an email into the Skagit Valley Highland Games and Celtic Festival for a couple quick questions but most likely will be there too.

Suzanne