Philip Livingston;Signer of the declaration of Independence

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
beadmom

Philip Livingston;Signer of the declaration of Independence

Post by beadmom »

In honor of the upcoming holiday for Americans I thought I would post a little blurb about the Livingston who signed the Declaration of Independence:

http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/si ... ston_p.htm

Philip Livingston
1716-1778
Representing New York at the Continental Congress

by Ole Erekson, Engraver, c1876, Library of Congress
Born: January 15, 1716
Birthplace: Albany, New York
Education: Graduate of Yale College (Merchant)
Work: Alderman, New York city; Delegate to the Albany Convention, 1754; Delegate to the Continental Congress, 1776; Later, State Senator in New York, Delegate to Federal Congress until 1778.
Died: June 12, 1778
Philip Livingston was born in Albany, New York, on the fifteenth of January, 1716. He graduated at Yale College in 1737, and entered into mercantile business in the city of New York. He was a very successful businessman, and served his community as an alderman. In 1754 he attended the Colonial Convention at Albany. He was selected as a delegate to the Continental Congress in 1776, and was in strong favor of the Declaration of Independence. After the adoption of a new Constitution for New York State, he was elected to the state Senate. He died suddenly while in attendance at York, Pennsylvania.
Kyle MacLea

Re: Philip Livingston;Signer of the declaration of Independence

Post by Kyle MacLea »

A very interesting chap! One we've had the occasion of bumping up against in the DNA research as well. Would love to know more about his family and would love to hear from any descendants of that family. Please chime in if you have more to add! And yes, a very timely piece, Ginger!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Ginger and Kyle,

Interesting story regarding Phillip Livingston (1716-1778) signer of the Declaration of Independence. Thanks for that Ginger. Son of Phillip Livingston Second Lord of Livingston Manor, New York and Catharine Van Brugh. Phillip then I assume would have been a grandson of the First Lord of Livingston Manor, NY Robert Livingston. Phillip of one of Colonial New York's prominent and affluent families like the Van Renselaers at great risk to their family and fortune supported the Revolution while a number of other prominent NY families supported Great Britain, in the end lost everything and fled with other Loyalists with whatever possessions they could take with them to the remaining British colonies in North America. A small number of Livingstons are listed in the United Empire Loyalist records but I dont know if they are connected the Robert Livingston family line. Generally speaking it is understood in America that this old New York State family descended from Robert Livingston supported the Revolution and were actively involved in the government of New York both before and after the Revolution.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

A very interesting family. I wish we knew for sure their connection to their forebears in Scotland, but I get the impression that the records don't firmly establish a definitive connection?

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

Somewhere out in the garage among hundreds of books in boxes, I have "The Livingstons: An American Aristocricy" by Claire Brandt. This book details the more famous branch family from when they left Scotland to some time in the 1800's with a little information post 1900. It is an interesting read.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

I saw it today!

Both documents!

You can't really read but only a few of the signatures on the Declaration of Independence...BUT

You can CLEARLY read William Livingston's (New Jersey) signature on the ORIGINAL CONSTITUTION!
http://www.adherents.com/people/pl/Will ... gston.html.

Ginger