Clan Recipes

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
beadmom

Clan Recipes

Post by beadmom »

[THIS RECIPE THREAD IS FOR RECIPES ONLY. Additional conversation with be deleted/moved. --Kyle]

I am working on cooking some traditional Scottish food. It would be great to have some more traditional recipes.

I am also inventing some of my own.

These cookies, I was hoping would come out good, me being genetically predisposed and all...I made them in the traditional fashion ...mixing by hand.. without a food processor. Unless you are a strong highlander woman use to pulling breech baby sheep out by sheer force I highly recommend partnering up with your food processor.

My coworkers are demanding more.....HR says they will not ask for any random drug testing today just in case.... 8-)

I get to name these because I invented them (as far as I know)...

Livingston Highlander Shortbread Cookies

1 1/4c flour
½ c butter
3 tbs brown sugar
3 tbs honey
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp nutmeg
3 tbs Glenlivet (or any decent scotch)

Blend all your dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
Cube the butter and cut it in.
Mix until it all looks like small crumbs
Mix the honey and scotch together
Blend in with the dough

Take it in your hands and make it into a ball. Knead it with your hands until it is well blended. You will probably still see bits of butter. That’s okay.

Roll out on lightly floured wax paper into ½ inch thick large circle. Cut into strips 1 ½” x 1”

Put on parchment paper or ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake at 300 for 20-25 minutes or until brown and crispy.

Makes approx 24.
beadmom

Re: Scottish Recipes

Post by beadmom »

Not only is this site helpful... It's pretty funny as well.

http://www.scottishrecipes.co.uk

"Many Scots liked to add a wee dram of whisky or rum to their porridge but this is not advisable if you are to drive during the day or go to work or have other responsibilities and is not the best start to the day (though some would say it is a great start to the day!)."

and.. who knew there was an "annual Porridge Making Championship takes place in Carrbridge, Scotland where the winner of the best traditional porridge made from water and oatmeal"

I've been missing so much....

Ginger
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

For all you Outlander fans...

I found a blog site of Outlander Recipes.

http://lallybroch.wordpress.com/

"Currently this space is documenting all the foods and dishes that appear in Diana’s books. My goal is to create a cookbook of sorts for those interested in experiencing the Scottish (or otherwise) cuisine."

Ginger
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Kyle.... the diabetic police are going to show up and haul you away for contributing.....

Here's my finished recipe for "My Livingston Tablet" (The good thing about creating your own stuff is you get to name it!)

My Livingston Tablet

2c white sugar
2c brown sugar
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 stick unsalted butter
1tbs vanilla

(adult version)
3 tbs Glenlivet (or any good scotch)

Mix everything together in a large pot. I dampen the sugar in the pot with a small amount of cold milk just to get it mixing well.

I recommend a stainless pot but you can use anything but non-stick. This when boiling will double in size so plan on a large pot because if it boils over you will have a superheated mess! I stir with a wooden spoon.

Stir on medium heat until it starts to boil. (Approx 10 min) If you start to see brown streaks it is caramelizing too fast. Turn it down.

Once it starts boiling turn down to low. Cook for approx 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Some crystallizing will occur on the sides. This is fine. Leave it.

Get yourself a small shallow bowl of cold water. Once the mix has been going for approx 20 minutes and has darkened considerably take a teaspoon and dip it in the mix. Dip it in the cold water then hold it over the bowl of cold water, if it slowly drips off the end forming a ball it’s ready to go to the next step. DO NOT, NOT, NOT, GRAB THIS BALL AND EAT IT. It is HOT in the middle and will BURN you BADLY.

Take the pot off the heat and start stirring beginning with the crystallization on the sides. Fold them into the mix. Stir fast. When it starts to thicken and you feel grit on the bottom of the pan it is time to pour.

Line a 8 x 11 or similar size pan with parchment paper or butter very well all sides. Pour the tablet mix into the pan. In a few hours when it is soft set score it or it will be difficult to cut.

Leave set overnight.
Cut apart, send half to Kyle and store the rest in a tin for the very short time they last.
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Herewith a recipe for haggis. We only have it occasionally but, when we do, I buy it. When you have read the recipe, I think you will see why! To be serious, after the various food scares we have had over the years, I don't think for a minute that I would be able to buy a sheep's stomach bag anywhere, but liver and heart are available.

1 stomach bag of sheep
1/4lb sheep's liver
1 sheep's heart
2 onions
4 tbsp beef suet
salt and black pepper
1 cup toasted oatmeal
1/2 pint gravy from liver

Wash the stomach bag thoroughly, first in cold water, then, scraping, in hot water. Leave to lie overnight in a bowl of cold salted water. Wash again carefully and place in a pan of boiling water to cover. with the windpipe hanging over the side. Add 1tsp salt and boil for 2 hours. Remove from pan and cut away the windpipe and any gristle.

Clean the liver and heart, washing well, and boil with the onions for about 30 minutes or until tender. When cool, mince the meat and chop onions. Grate the suet and mix with the meat, onion and seasoning. Add the oatmeal* and enough liquor from the meat to make a soft, droppable consistence.

Fill the bag, just over half full, leaving space for the mixture to expand. Sew up the hole with strong thread and cook haggis in a large pan of boiling water for 3 hours. Prick occasionally wit a skewer to prevent it from bursting.

Should the haggis be made some time before it is wanted, reheat in boiling water, boiling without the lid for one-and-a-half hours.

Haggis is traditionally served with neeps and tatties (turnips and potatoes). The neeps and tatties should be well mashed; and, of course, a nip or two of whisky should be imbibed!

*Pinhead oatmeal.

Regards to you all,
Jill
Jill Richmond
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

I should have said in my post that you can cook the recipe I gave yesterday in a pan. Simply stew (I would say simmer gently, giving it the odd stir) in a covered saucepan for 2 hours, adding more gravy or strong brown stock when necessary.

Someone who lives on Harris told me a while ago that stuffed cods' heads used to be considered a delicacy there. They are stuffed with something like forcemeat stuffing. I must say that I didn't think it sounded very nice, although I would think that cod and forcemeat stuffing (white bread crumbs,suet, grated lemon zest, salt, pepper, nutmeg, parsley and thyme, bound together with a little milk)* could go very well together. It was the thought of the head that put me off!

*I have given ingredients as recipes in the U.S and the U.K can be very different.

Happy Cooking!
Jill

P.S Your tablet sounds delicious, Ginger.
Jill Richmond
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Glad to be of help, Ginger. With regard to recipes,there are many books on Scottish cookery, and two that I have are: Nick Nairn: New Scottish Cookery published by the BBC and Sue Lawrences Scottish Kitchen. Both these books feature new and traditional recipes. Nick Nairn is one of Scotland's top chefs and Sue Lawrence has been described by The Times newspaper as 'one of the best recipe writers in the land'. Her book is published by Headline, and I would think that both of these can be obtained from Amazon. I thought that you might be interested in them.

Regards,
Jill
Jill Richmond
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

This is a handy site!!!

http://www.rampantscotland.com/recipes/ ... _index.htm

My friend has decided I should come up with a new cookbook titled "What to Cook With The Whisky You Don't Drink-----Like That's Gonna Happen"

I said ..all the pages would be blank!

Ginger
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

I want to make this but will be missing some things if I buy a bunny at the store.... :shock: :?

Bawd Bree (Bunny Stew)

3-4 qts water

1 hare
Approx 1 1/2 lb total of:

Chopped Celery

Chopped carrot and
turnip

Finely chopped onion

Faggot of herbs

2 oz flour

Mushroom
ketchup

Port wine

Salt and pepper

Skin and clean the hare - reserve the blood. Remove the fleshy pieces from the back and legs and cut into neat pieces.

Place the remainder of the carcass in the cold water and leave overnight.

Bring to the boil the next day, add the prepared vegetables and seasonings; reduce the heat and simmer for approximately 2 hours. Strain; liquidise the vegetables.

Flour the hare flesh and fry in fat. Add with the liquidised vegetables to the soup and simmer for about 30 minutes.

Mix the blood with the flour, add a tsp of vinegar and some of the hot soup. Return to the soup; heat through to thicken;

add mushroom ketchup and port wine. Adjust consistency and seasoning and serve with Rowan Jelly and Baked Potato in each soup plate.
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

I highly recommend these............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.. I made them this morning! I don't know how traditional they might be but they have SCOTCH in them so it works for me! :D

Apple Fritters With (Scotch) Whisky Glaze

These were surprisingly easy to make even for someone like me who never made a donut in my life. The only thing I can say is ….don’t use a little whisk to mix the gluey stuff together because it all gets clumped up inside the little whisk and it’s hard to get out with a butter knife.

Also, make sure you use a teaspoon and not a tablespoon to dollop the things together or they will be too thick and the insides won’t cook. Then you have to nuke them for a minute and I DO NOT recommend that.

Apple Fritters With Whisky Glaze

Fritter:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup milk
1 egg
1 cup chopped apple
Glaze:
2 cups powdered sugar
(Or 1 c powdered and 1c brown sugar)
1 tbs milk
2 tbs whisky or scotch. (I used The Glenlivit)

Directions: Mix the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cinnamon. Stir in milk and egg until just combined (You can add a little whisky to the dough too if you really want to go all out 2 tbs).

Fold in apple.

Pour oil into skillet so that it is approximately 1 to 1 ½ deep. Heat oil on high. Oil is ready when a little piece of tester dough floats to the top.

Carefully add dough to oil in heaping teaspoons. Do not use a tablespoon or they come out too thick and don’t cook through as well.

Cook then until they are brown then flip over CAREFULLY the oil is hot and can SPLASH. Cook until both sides are brown. Move over to paper towels to absorb excess oil, then transfer them on to a cooling rack.

Make the glaze by stirring milk and powdered sugar and whisky together in a small bowl. If you are using the brown sugar combo heat it a little until it is creamy.
Paint onto apple fritters with a basting brush.
Wait for the glaze to harden, then turn the fritters over and baste glaze over the other side. You may have to rewarm the glaze a little.
Serve warm. (and if you think you can wait until they cool you are a pretty strong person!)