Looking for relatives of Milton E. Livingstone

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
ihs

Looking for relatives of Milton E. Livingstone

Post by ihs »

I am coordinating the publication of a book about WWII, which contains the story of Private Milton E. Livingstone and how he met his tragic end in November 1944 in a small town in the Netherlands. It seems to me that his relatives may be interested in this. The only information I have is that Milton's parents were Joseph and Agnes Livingstone from Murray Harbour. Would anyone know of any surviving relatives?
Thanks.
Ineke
Kyle MacLea

Re: Looking for relatives of Milton E. Livingstone

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Ineke--we will definitely get on this. Our Clan Historian, Canadian Donald Livingstone Clink, will undoubtedly have some ideas, and we have many other intrepid researchers as well. Anyone have any ideas for Ineke?

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Ineke,

Would that be Murray Harbour Nova Scotia near Murray River and Pictou I think or Murray Harbour PEI? I noticed there is a Murray Harbour in PEI as well. I think you are talking about a Nova Scotia family but thought I should sort that out first. There are Livingston researchers here who have Cape Breton Livingston origins and have some familiarity with pioneer Livingstone families in Cape Breton and in Nova Scotia and PEI generally who may be some help to you.

regards,

Donald
ihs

Post by ihs »

Hi Donald,

According to my information, it is Murray Harbour in PEI (see
ww.islandarchives.ca/.../10_That_mark_our_place_Island_war_p_34-43.pdf). Wikipedia states that in 2006, this little town had a pop. of 358, so one would think old-timers in the village might remember the family. The on-line phone directory shows no Livingstones in Murray Harbour but quite a few in the rest of PEI, including near-by Murray River.
Thanks.
Ineke
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Hi Ineke,

Do you mind if I pass your email on to a contact which I believe is from a branch of the family you are looking for? We have a woman who checked in about 6 months ago and whose father, I believe, may have been cousins of the Murray Harbour family, but who lived in Dog River PEI?

We'd like to hear more about your book and about what you find out about Private Livingstone if it is possible when you are done!

Roberta, Jewel, and others may also have ideas as well. Anyone have further information about this family?

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
ihs

Post by ihs »

Hi Kyle,

No, I don't mind a bit. Please pass on the information to anyone you think might be able to help.

The book is about the battles fought to liberate two small towns in southern Holland in early November 1944. It was written by a local Dutch historian, and I'm the translator and editor, coordinating the publication with the help of donations by some of the regiments, the Dutch Embassy, and two private individuals. Private Livingstone served with the Lincoln and Welland Regiment, which suffered over 50 casualties during these few days of battle. The book has a foreword by Brig. Gen. (ret'd) "Ned" Amy, DSO, OBE, MC, CD. It will be available through Chapter's, entitled "Five Days in November. The Liberation of Steenbergen and Welberg in WWII" by author Robert Catsburg.

It seemed to me that the families of the veterans who made it home would know what Grandpa did during the war, but the relatives of those who fell are not so lucky, and they might appreciate having some information. So I'm trying to locate a few of them. I already found one family in a tiny town in eastern Alberta.

I add Pte Livingstone's photo. Such a handsome young man, it makes me sad.
Ineke
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Ineke,

Thanks for that information on Private Livingston. THere has been some efforts here to gather information of Maritime Canadian Livingstones who served in various Wars so your information is quite timely. I tried to locate something on Private Livingstons ancestors but have not been able to locate anything in PEI. Others genealogists here however may have better luck.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Ineke,

Sorry, I lost track of this thread, I will be happy to pass you info onto the family in question. Thanks for that great photo, it is indeed sad.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Ineke,

Couldn't find anything on a Milton E. Livingstone. The only information I was able to find was a baptism for a Milton Vangelin Livingstone, born August 27,1918, baptismal, April 27, 1919, Father Joseph Livingstone, mothers name not given.
Place of birth Murray Harbour South, Prince Edward Island, Religion United.

Also A Donald Milton Livingstone born March 23,1913, baptised, July 18,1914, Murray Harbour South, P.E.I. parents Donald Livingstone and Mary A. McLeod. United church. These records taken from www.gov.pe.ca.

The latest census would be in 1911 so he won't be found there as his birth was in 1916. I checked for a Joseph Livingstone in PEI for a Joseph Livingstone in the 1901 & 1911 and there was a couple one being the son of a Samuel Livingstone and one being a son of a James Livingstone, both Joseph Livingstones were unmarried.

If you can find Milton's draft notice or registration you might be able to find out if he was single or married when he entered WWII.

Jewel
ihs

Post by ihs »

Hi Jewel,

Thank you for the information. Apparently, the initial E. stood for "Evangeline" and the date of birth was 21 Aug. 1918, so that pretty much tallies with the baptismal certificate you mention. I also discovered that Milton was married to a Mae Isabel Livingstone (info from Library and Archives Canada, War Dead). Milton served with the Lincoln and Welland Regiment, service number F82304.
The Murray River cemetery apparently has a grave of Joseph H. Livingstone, 1886-1973, which would be the right age for Milton's father, but there is no further information.
Would you know how I would find surviving relatives?
Thanks.