Looking for relatives of Milton E. Livingstone

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Jewel

Re: Looking for relatives of Milton E. Livingstone

Post by Jewel »

Hi Ineke,

So he was married, that might be helpful. I'll see if I can find anything on Mae Isabel, Miltons wife to see if they might have had any children. The second thing is, the Joseph H. Livingstone cemetery record that you found, If that is Miltons father (I'll try to confirm that for you) you might find information about Milton in the obituary for Joseph H. Livingstone who died in Murray River in 1973, or if he had any sisters or brothers. I would also suggest that you call the Murray River Cemetery to find out what other family members of Joseph H. Livingstone are buried there with him.
If Milton didn't have any children then you are looking for cousins of Milton.
what has to be done here is to go back and then work your way forward in order to find any living relatives.
If I come up with anything else I will let you know.

Jewel
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Ineke,

Well I found plenty of information on the ancestors of Milton Livingstone but only a possible lead on living relatives.

From the Murray River Cemetery: Joseph H.(Henry) Livingston b. 1886 d.1973
His wife is buried with him, Lettie A. (Agnus) Livingstone (her maiden name, Sharam,was given on these cemetery records)b. 1893 d. 1991. I then looked her up before she married, in the 1911 census for P.E.I. She is listed as Agnus Sharam b. March 1893, living on lot 64 Kings P.E.I. same lot # as Joseph Livingstone in 1911 census.

In the 1911 census for Lot 64 P.E.I.

Samuel Livingstone b. P.E.I.May 14,1851
Mary wife b. Aug. 28,1859
John S. son b. May 14,1878
Joseph son b. March 12,1886
Jane dau. b. Sept.18, 1888
Thomas S. b. Sept.27, 1884
Myla ,Myra, Mary? b. March 22,1899

In the Murray River Pioneer Cemetery:
Samuel Livingston 1852-1941
Mary C. Livingston(wife) 1859-1933
George (son ) 1880-1891
Flora (dau.) 1882-1884

In Murray Harbor New Cemetery:
John S. (brother of Joseph H.) b.May 14,1878 d. Nov. 9,1979
Caroline(Jardine) wife,b. Sept.18,1891 d. June 9, 1979
daughter: Evaline, b. Feb. 14,1919 d. 1985
Daughter: Rena, b. Feb.13,1924,d. June 21, 1961

Also sister of Joseph H.: Mary Jane b. March 22,1899 had 2 marriages 1st. John McLennan and 2nd: Horace Reynolds

There was some contact information on the family of Samuel Livingstone.
Bonnie J. Douglass, 10054 Randwick Dr. Temple City, California 91780. I don't know how old this contact info is but I would assume she has some kind of connection to this Livingstone family.

If you can figure out what church the family of Joseph H. Livingstone you might call them to see if there was a marriage for Milton and also if the baptism listed for Milton's children if he had any.

The other thing might be to see if there are any Sharam (Joseph H.wife's maiden name)family members still living on P.E.I. they might be of help.

Regards, Jewel
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Jewel;

Excellent research, as usual. I noticed that his Regiment was in Ontario. Lincoln and Welland. He obviously moved to Ontario.
Over the years, the Lincoln Welland Regiment established ties with other units. Their Allied Regiments include:
The Royal Queensland Regiment
7th Wellington (City of Wellington's Own) and the Hawke's Bay Battalion Group.

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Inke,
I concur with our Atlantic Canada Livingston experts Jewel and Roberta.
No doubt Joseph Livingston b. May 12, 1886 is the father and son of Samuel Livingston (Levingston in the 1901 Canadian Census PEI Queens County East Lot 64) b. May 14, 1851 and wife Mary b. Aug. 28,1859. Joseph was a farmer at Hopefield at the time of census I believe which I assume is adjacent or near to the Murray River area according to the census. Murray River, Hopefield are in the same census subsection. Perhaps there is someone in Murray River that can connect you with a local historian who is knowledable of this Livingston family in the area and knows of living descendants you could contact. No doubt some of them might even remember Milton.

We are currently researching the original highland Livingston pioneers and their familes that settled in PEI and Nova Scotia so we are interested in determining how MIlton is connected to the early Livingstons of PEI. We have made some progress in identifying a significant number of the earliest highland Livingstones/Livingstons who came to what is now Canada as far back as the late 1700's and have done quite a bit of work on those who settled in Nova Scotia and PEI. Let us know if you cottact any PEI Livingstons interested in Livingston family history.
It is possible that the John Livingston (Levingston in the 1901 Census also apparently a farmer at Hopefield near Murray River b. July 1852 husband of Christy born Sept 29 1858 is a brother of the above mentioned Samuel. Roberta and Jewel may be to figure out who the parents of Samuel and John might be? I have to refresh my memory as to Livingston settlement in Lot 64. There was a Donald Livingston b. 1751 from Movern and Mull Scotland who settled at Lot 65, Queens County, PEI with his grown up sons but Milton may or may not be connected to this family. The United Church Livingstons would have been Presbyterian before the 1925 formation of the United Church of Canada and this family at Lot 65 were Presbyterian but it could be another family not related to the old pioneer Donald.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

May I refresh your memory about Lot 64. John Livingstone b 1793 in Colonsay d Jan 1, 1864 married Margaret MacLeod b 1815 in Skye d April 29, 1903; their son Donald Livingstone b August 2, 1853, High Bank Lot 64 married Mary Anne MacLeod b ca 1869 d Jan 7, 1948
Note: 2nd marriage for John. First wife could have been Peggy McDougall -- had issue.
1881 Census Lot 64

John Livingstone --- age 29
John D. Livingstone age 6 married Clara Bonnell b 1883 d Aug 27, 1828. John D. d 1941
John Livingstone-----age 3
Donald '""""""""""""""""age 27
Duncan""""""""""""""""'age 40
George """"""""""""""""age < 1 b Sept 7
Margaret """"""""""""""age 67 b Scotand
Mary c."""""""""""""""""age 22
Samuel"""""""""""""""""age 29
Annie Livingston------age 39

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

HI Roberta,

Thanks for that. I noticed Donald Livingston in the 1901 Census a farmer at High Bank which is about 7.3 km from Hopefield and censused with Murray River and Hopefield in 1901. Donald was born Aug 2, 1855 and his by this time a widower living with his mother Margaret born Nov. 1. 1825 according to the 1901 census info.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald;

Household Details Lot 64, Kings County 1881 Census

Margaret Livingstone age 67 b Scotland
Donald Livingstone age 27 b PEI
Alexander James Stewart age 2 b PEI s/o John Stewart and Flora Livingstone b. 1840, High Bank d Feb 25, 1880.
John Livingstone age 29 b PEI

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

The 1881 Census does clarify this family. Margaret Livingston born in 1825 or 1824? of Lot 64 is a widower residing in the Murray River area is a widower and possibly the mother of Duncan, John, Samuel and Donald. I noticed a John Livingston born 1793 died 1864 or 1869. married to Margaret McLeod settled in Bell River PEI about 1840. Other info on a Margaret Mcleod indicates that she was married to a Mr Livingston of High Bank, PEI and was the daughter of Donald Macleod and Mary Martin of the Isle of Skye who arrived at Murray Harbour, PEI in the year 1829. Perhaps they left Bell River for the High Banks/Murray River area subsequently.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

I came across 2 baptisms for children of a John Livingston & Margared McLeod.

Donald, b. Aug.2, (doesnt give year) bapt. October,1853 (Cape Bear)
Margaret, b. Dec. 15,1855, bapt. Dec. 15, 1856 (Cape Bear)

taken from gov. pe.ca.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Roberta,

Samuel Livingston married Mary Horton on December 14, 1876. Samuel and his wife Mary Horton are buried in Murray River Pioneer Cemetery. Samuel Livingston 1852-1941 Mary C. Livingston 1859-1933 Perhaps Samuel's death record would verify the names of his mother and father. A 1941 death record in many provinces at that time was usually well detailed compared to earlier death records and listed the names of the deceased parents but I am not familiar with PEI death records. Mary Livingston's Horton family are also buried in this cemetery at Murray River. I could not find Samuel's parents in this pioneer cemetery unfortunately. As Jewel earlier mentioned Joseph born in 1886 the son of Samuel Livingston and Mary Horton is buried in Murray River Cemetery with his wife.

Barry who lives near Belle RIver pointed out on April 19 2010 that John Livingston and Margaret MacLeod were buried in the old Belle River Pioneer Cemetery.
A PEI Livingston family researcher made the link between the John Livingston 1793-1864 a native of the Isle of Colonsay and his wife Margaret MacLeod 1815-1903 buried in Belle River Pioneer Cemetery Lot 62 and the Livingstons of High Bank, Lot 64, PEI. This info was then apparently included in Macleods of Skye family research with a Donald Macleod of Skye who arrived at High Bank around 1829 being the father of Margaret MacLeod.

The good news is that a second look at the 1901 Census Lot 64, PEI shows that Margaret Livingston is 86 which makes the apparent mother of John, Donald and Duncan born around 1815 and not 1825 as was previously recorded by another researcher and fits nicely with the Margaret buried in Belle River Cemetery with her husband John Livingston 1793-1864.
Belle River Pioneer Cemetery LOt 62
John Livingston born 1793 Isle of Colonsay died January 1, 1864 age 77
Margaret Macleod born 1815 died April 29, 1903 age 88

The information I had early on was that this John Livingston and Margaret MacLeod were at Belle River but I was not sure if the 1840 date with this information refered to when John Livingston of Colonsay arrrived in PEI or at Belle River. Presumingly John who died in 1864 and was buried at Belle RIver was living at Belle River in Lot 62 and his widow and her sons went to High Bank in LOt 64 in the years folowing his death. In any events at some point land records might be able to sort these details out. What seems pretty clear is that John Livingston and Margaret MacLeod are the parents of these Livingston farmers born in the 1850`s and that parents had these sons relatively late in life. Whether or not John and Margaret are the parents of Samuel is not clear to me as yet from the information we have.

regards,

Donald

regards,

Donald