Looking for relatives of Milton E. Livingstone

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Jewel

Re: Looking for relatives of Milton E. Livingstone

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

I'm not sure if this would be of any help?

From what I read some of the 1841census for P.E.I. have been saved. I found a John Livingston, but he is living on Lot 60, the information given is as follow's.

1 male under 16
1 male 16-45
1 female under 16
1 female 16-45

Religion: Church of Scotland
# of acres=75
# of years of term of Lease expired=2
# of years of term of lease

# of persons native of Scotland=2
# of persons natives of this island=2

Jewel
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

Well I received a copy of the death notice for Samuel Livingstone.
It states he died January 10, 1941 at Murray Harbour in his 89th year.

He was born at Bonshaw, P.E.I. where he resided until a young man, when he married Mary Catherine Horton of Murray River. After his marriage he resided at Long Creek, West River,P.E.I. but shortly after moved to Murray River. Later on he bought a timber farm at Hopefield, where he and his good wife faced the great and hard task of clearing the land and carving their living out of virgin forest for themselves and their increasing growing family. Here they stayed most of their lives until they sold out and moved to Murray Harbour to live with their son, John Livingstone, and his wife.
He is survived by sons and daughters: (Janie) Mrs. Horace Reynolds, Trenton,N.S., (Myra) Mrs. Alfred Chapman, Murray Harbour, John & Joseph Livingstone, of Murray Harbour & Thomas of Dorchester, Mass. also 10 grandchildren. His wife predeceased him of 7 years ago.

So I'm not real familiar with Bonshaw, but I think I read that it is in Queens P.E.I. and Bonshaw falls inside the Statistics Canada Census a subdivision of Lot 30.

So unfortunately we don't know who Samuels parents are but we know their were Livingsones in Bonshaw about 1852.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jewel,

Nice work. So he might not be a son of John Livingston and Margaret McLeod of LOt 64 or DOnald Livingston b.1751 of LOt 65 Queens County. THere is still one other possiblitiy that Barry might be able to access a death record from the PEI government archives. Barry goes to the archives from time to time and might be able to locate the death record given that we know when Samuel died. It may list the name of his parents. A lot to these Livingstons lived long lives. Bonshaw is in QUeens County but I dont know that this information gives us any clues to Samuel,s family origins unfortunately.

Margaret Livingston (Margaret MacLeod) as a widow farmer in 1881 is living with her sons Donald b.1855 and brother John born 1852. Duncan born abt. 1841 is probably John and Margaret's eldest son born in PEI and is in fact a neighbour in 1881 so I am pretty certain that he is family. Samuel b. 1751 is really the only one I am not certain regarding John and Margaret.

regards,

Donald

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

I was just doing a search for livingstones on the Islander register and came across a Descendant tree of a Samuel Macdougall who arrived to P.E.I. in 1810. The submitter of this family tree was a Jean Richardson.

It states that Samuel Livingstone who married a Sarah Horton was the son of John Livingstone and a Peggy McDougall. It also list Samuel as having a brother Ewen L. b. Dec. 20,1854 who married a Sarah Fisher.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

Just to add Samuel Livingston died January 10, 1941 should anyone be able to do a search of the original death record in the PEI archives. That would be registered I would assume either in Kings or Queens County, PEI.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

Interestingly the Murray River Cemetery contains a Donald Livingston b. 1815 d. 29 January 1901 who was apparently married to an Ann Wheeler No idea if this family has any connection John Livingstone b.1793 and his wife Margaret Macleod b.1815 or just lived in the area.
Also a son of Donald which was George Westley Livingston b. 1860 died June 18, 1941 wife Catharine Murdock 1857-1946
at the cemetery.
Yet another piece in a Livingston puzzle that is Murray River.
regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

I dont know of that family that you mentioned but EWen Livingston born abt. 1857 was living at Lot 30 QUeens County in in the 1881 PEI census.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hi Donald,

Yes something else to look into. According to this MacDougall descendant tree on the Island Register submitted by Jean Richardson. She states that a Peggy MacDougall married a John Livingstone and they had 2 sons , Samuel who was married to Sarah Horton and a Ewen b. 12-20-1854. Ewen was married to a Sarah Fisher. This information is interesting but a death cert. for Samuel would be best.
Then Samuel Livingstone death notice states that he was born in Bonshaw. I hadn't done any checking as of yet on this Samuel's brother Ewen but you say he is on lot 30 in 1881, and his brother Samuel is on lot 64. Tomorrow when I have more time I'll do some more checking on this. I also remember seeing baptism records on the childen of Donald Livingstone b. abt. 1815 and Ann Wheeler.

I printed out Livingston & Livingstones in the P.E.I.census for years 1881&1891 by the Lot # which is kind of helpful. For the 1841 census for P.E.I. there were 2 John Livingstone's one on lot #60 and one on Lot #30, a Donald Livingstone on Lot 31, an Alexander Livingston on Lot # 54 and a Malcolm on Lot #29. You are more familiar with these different areas. The 1841 census only gives head of household names and a range of ages but it does state the # of people born on P.E.I. or their Native country.

Many things to look at!

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,
That early census is one of few clues as to the location of the original Livingstons to settle PEI.
I know that Donald Livingston 1751-1840 pioneer of Lot 65, Queens County, PEI had a son that settled on Lot 31 at Clyde or Dog River according to one of their family researchers. One of Donald's sons acquired a land grant in lot 31 in the early 1800's. Might have been two of them. He had several sons them settled with him at Nine Mile Creek, Lot 65 PEI in 1806. I am not certain who the Livingstons on Lot 29 or Lot 30 in 1841 were.

From the 1880 Illustrated Historical Atlas of PEI there is a Patrons Directory that lists a few later 19th century Livingstons, where located and how long they and their family had been located on their property.
John Livingston farmer and school teacher, Archibald Livingston farmer 1820 Clyde River Lot 31
Ewen Livingston Carpenter and joiner Bonshaw, Bonshaw Rd Lot 30 1846
George Livingston farmer West Point Lot no. 8 1831
Alex Livingston Hamilton Road, Lot no. 8 1851

NOte that their families couild have been in PEI longer. I think in many cases the date refers to how long they had been located in a specific location.

regards,

Donald
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Donald and Jewel;

Old forum - Livingston's in New York have connection to PEI (18th century)
May 2009
http://www.clanmclea.co.uk/forum/show-m ... sp?ID=5864

This URL didn't go through however, my point is that we are duplicating what has all ready been researched in April and May of 2009.

Regards;

Roberta