Comments on Clan Recipes

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Greg Livingston

Comments on Clan Recipes

Post by Greg Livingston »

[This thread is for discussion of recipes. Recipes or links to recipes only in the other thread. --Kyle]

I just might have to ask Joyce to make some of those. Of course, she will probably tell me to make them myself if I want any. And I would.
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Northglenn, Colorado, USA
beadmom

Re: Scottish Recipes

Post by beadmom »

You should make them because I, of course, invented them with both of you in mind.

I don't recommend using Lagavulin as it is expensive and tastes like band-aids marinated in antiseptic. I am finding in my scotch tasting that there is a big difference between "Smoky" and "Burn the house down".

Ginger
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Ginger--Recipe Corner for a future Parnassus? :)

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

YEAH!!!!!

"Haggis is a braw dish, so long as ye dinnae look at the ingredients!"

Looks like "Sheep Loaf" to me....

Ginger
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Ginger,

How about cookies or a cake iced and with red, green and black gumdrops to represent our clan tartan colours? My grandmother made her own version of shortbread christmas cookies which were pretty amazing but real scottish shortbread rules. Does butterscotch pudding fall under the category of Scottish food? I have my grandmother's old fashioned butterscotch pudding recipe which I like to make at Christmas time for the family. No one else in the family has the patience to stir until your arm falls off. It takes its time to cook. Serve some homemade whip cream with it and it is pretty darn tasty. Of course it does not compete with the pumpkin pie my wife's family makes at Thanksgiving.

regards,

Donald
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

I think "Grandma's Old Fashioned Butterscotch (hey look it even HAS the word SCOTCH in it...) Pudding" definitely qualifies. I think anything made by an old Scottish person qualifies. Get it posted! I want to make some.....I might even add Scotch.

I also think there is a way to make tartan cookies. I know from glassblowing how to make a color cane.... I think you can do the same thing with cookies. In glassblowing it's how they make millefluers for paperweights. http://www.flickr.com/groups/1317053@N25/

It would be the same thing as when at Christmas you can buy the sliceable cookies that have Santas, Reindeer and the like in the middle. That is a "Cane" roll.

I need to work on that!

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

Ginger
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

I am going to try making this for Easter...and it's all KYLE's FAULT!

How to make Tablet, a traditional Scottish sweet

http://scruss.com/tablet.html
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Haggis...I really planned on trying to make haggis.

I have been to every grocer in town..and asked "Do you happen to know where I can get a sheep stomach?
Now I do live in a rural farming type area but.....not in Scotland or Ireland, so I am getting some pretty strange looks when not getting outright laughter.

I am going to try at the real butcher, the place where you send your cow (Like if you raise it yourself in your yard...people do that around here) to be carved up. They must do sheep.. If not can I use a deer stomach?

Ginger
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

I believe a real Scot would use whatever is at hand, Ginger! So, fear not if you have to substitute for the sheep stomach.

According to Wikipedia, most modern haggis is actually made with casing instead of haggis, but I don't know if that's true.

And I believe other species' stomachs are occasionally used as well.

So, go forward with whatever you have, I say!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

beadmom wrote:I am going to try making this for Easter...and it's all KYLE's FAULT!
Oh, it's good. It's really good. You won't regret this, Ginger!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA