Comments on Clan Recipes

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
beadmom

Re: Scottish Recipes

Post by beadmom »

Kyle MacLea wrote:
beadmom wrote:I am going to try making this for Easter...and it's all KYLE's FAULT!
Oh, it's good. It's really good. You won't regret this, Ginger!

Kyle=
What if I'm a diabetic......? (Which I am..) should I go with the
"eat small bites" theory?..Also I think the Klingon phrase "Today's a good day to die." is actually a stolen Highlander war cry...

Plus I found that non sugary alcohol lowers your blood sugar. Scotch is actually GOOD for me! (and THAT is all GREG'S fault.)
So ...hummmm.....if I drink the scotch while making the tablet, to get a head start on things and give the sugar nowhere to rest but on top of sugar eating scotch..
It's great to be Scottish...

Ginger
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Kyle MacLea wrote:I believe a real Scot would use whatever is at hand, Ginger! So, fear not if you have to substitute for the sheep stomach.

According to Wikipedia, most modern haggis is actually made with casing instead of haggis, but I don't know if that's true.

And I believe other species' stomachs are occasionally used as well.

So, go forward with whatever you have, I say!

Kyle=
I have a really old 52 lb fat beagle.....but his stomach would hold a holiday family gathering size Haggis....
Ginger
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

I believe traditional haggis is made by simmering sheep's heart, liver and lungs minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt in the animal's stomach for several hours.

There was hope last January that the USDA was going to lift the ban on “Real” Haggis entering the US last January but it has not happened yet. We are not allowed to purchase the lungs from a grocer in the US and I would think a licensed butcher wouldn’t sell you the lungs either but a private butcher could possibly wrap them up and put a note on the bag saying they are for your dog or science project.

I tried Haggis twice in Scotland, I needed some liquid courage first - Bruichladdich & Aberlour.
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

I don't know, Ginger. If I start getting half of every batch of tablet, _I_ will be 500 pounds! I like the intent, though. :)

But, I like this whole recipe thread for future newsletters. Good material!

And Jerry: What did you think? I've had fresh American haggis, and it wasn't bad. But since it wasn't the real thing, I'm not sure the experience really transfers.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

I am resourceful and I live in ranching country...I will find the guts of a sheep! It has become a quest.

I am at present reading the Julie/Julia book. I read the blog many many years ago when she was doing it. (The book and the blog are not the same thing)
My daughter and I are working on a project to open a recipe/blog/cooking fun website. We are in development right now (she is developing and I am writing content).

I was thinking of cooking my way through "The Scots Kitchen: Its Traditions and Lore with Old-time Recipes by F.Marian McNeill." I would not mind knowing how to "dress a cod's head and shoulders in the Scots fashion" but balked at the powsowdie (sheep's head broth), the first thing you have to do is "choose a large, fat, young head" and get it "carefully singed by the blacksmith."

Yikes.

Ginger
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Well, a good number of my direct ancestors were blacksmiths, Ginger. Maybe I could "singe" it for you. :lol:

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Since we're supposed to make do with what we have.....I've got a wether here I could part with. His horns might be a problem though....

Ginger
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Thank Jill.

I am enjoying your help very much and it's great to generate another interesting topic!

I am going to Scotland in the fall and plan to do some serious sampling of local cuisine. (and scotch...always scotch) I found out last night a dear childhood friend does scotch analysis and teaching to newbies....He and his wife live in the next state over and do gatherings as well. I hope we can meet up sometime soon.

Anything in the way of traditional recipes you find interesting please let me know so I can try them!

Thanks again,

Ginger
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Haggis flavored potato chips...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... cup-crisps

HUmmmmm..
Ginger
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Ginger,

I will pass on the Haggis. Just give me some Scottish short bread and a cup of tea.

regards,

Donald