Comments on Clan Recipes

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
beadmom

Re: Scottish Recipes

Post by beadmom »

I am VERY interested in them!

Thanks!

Today I am plying my coworkers with leftover tablet.

Ginger
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

That website should keep you busy, Ginger! Incidentally, the Scots are renowned for their baking. Every year where I live we have a church sale, with stalls for just about everything you can think of. One of the stalls, needless to say, is a cake stall. This is a good 20 feet long and covered with every type of bread, cake, buns, and biscuits you can think of, and it all disappears in double quick time.

Regards,
Jill
Jill Richmond
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jill and Ginger,

It would be nice to see a Scottish recipe section in the next issue of "Parnassus" with some Scottish baking . This would be enjoyed by both Scots familiar with these recipes and those of us removed from Scotland for several generations and perhaps not so familiar with them.

regards,

Donald
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Donald,

I am still waiting for the Butterscotch pudding recipe........

tap tap tap..... :)

Ginger
Greg Livingston

Post by Greg Livingston »

Ginger,

Here is a link you might want to take a look at.

http://www.fife.50megs.com/scottish-cooking.htm
Greg Livingston
Clan Commissioner
Ankeny, Iowa, USA
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

Thanks Greg!

That is great...and will be VERY helpful when I launch my new blog in a couple of weeks...

"365 days of cooking With Alcohol"

Yes.. really :D

I am opening it with the Livingston Highland Shortbread Cookies and right now I have a Drambiue Pork Roast marinating!

(Did you know a place in Oregon makes Bacon Vodka?) Life is good.

Ginger
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

I NEED HELP!!!!

What is a "Pudding Steamer"?

I want to make a pudding. (I know that "pudding" here and "pudding" there is very different.)

"Grease a six-cup capacity pudding steamer (or two small ones) with melted butter"

Uh oh... :shock:

Thanks ahead,

Ginger
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

I am slightly bamboozled by your pudding steamer, Ginger, and think it must be an American variety. I have a steamer, which is basically a pan with holes punched in its base and which is designed to sit on top of another pan with boiling water in it. This contraption can steam puddings, fish, vegtables, or whatever you want. To steam a pudding you butter the inside of a pudding basin, pour in the pudding mixture, then cover with some greaseproof paper and foil, tie securely with string, put the basin in the steamer on top of the pan of boiling water and cook for however long you want.

Happy pudding making!

Jill
Jill Richmond
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Since posting the above I have found 2 pudding steamers. These are made of metal and are non-stick with locking lids,and look like pudding basins. There is a 1 litre one (1 litre = one and three quarter pints approx.) and a 2 litre (three and a half pints). I expect something similar is available in the States.

Jill
Jill Richmond
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

OK. I will look for them. That will amaze the Gadget Man (husband)

I bet he has no idea what a pudding steamer is.....I was surprised by the butter slicer so now I can get even.

Thanks!

Ginger