Comments on Clan Recipes

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
beadmom

Re: Scottish Recipes

Post by beadmom »

My poor daughter...I was having a chat with her while stuck in a case...

me:I got called in but I probably won't have much to do but contemplate bunnies in white wine...

Cassie: mother, that actually sounded sweet for a moment.... and then I realized what you were talking about and it isn't SWEET AT ALL

me: ROTFL

yes that was not "Bunnies AND white wine"
It was "Bunnies IN white wine"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I can see how this day is going to go...

Ginger
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Yum! (Not the bunnies--the fritters!)

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Hasenpfeffer! I prefer my rabbit baked.
Ginger, I’m starting to think you enjoy scotch. I do not drink scotch as a rule, just by habit…
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,

Apple Fritters are great. I will definitely try Ginger's recipe. I stil owe her my grandmother's recipe for Butterscotch pudding. Our big donut chain hereTim Hortons started by the late NHL hockey player Tim Horton makes pretty good apple or blueberry fritters actually. My personal favorite are made by old order german mennonites at a farmers market in St. Jacobs, Ontario. I would suspect there are probably some old order Amish in Pennsylvania that make some fine fritters also.
Better than that however were these homemade donuts made in this small country store when I was a kid. Like no donut I have tasted since. Basic fried donut rolled in a bit of sugar and cinamon I suspect but they were always fresh and had that homemade taste. Anyways I am seriously in violation of being of topic of scottish recipes. Sorry about that.

regards,

Donald
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

I'm not sure that fritters qualify as traditional Scottish fare, but they ARE very good! Like Donald I have a weakness for doughnuts, but I try and keep well away from them as I only have to look at them for my waistline to expand a couple of inches. There used to be a tearoom in Canterbury (Kent) that made them every day, and if you went in there for a morning coffee they were fresh out of the oven. They had raspberry jam in the middle and were delicious. But enough of this - it's making me hungry ...

Jill
Jill Richmond
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

I am sensing a Maclea Livingstone Cookbook in the future.

regards,

Donald
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

I've been out of town two weeks in a row with short notice. That volcano is screwing up one of our projects. Humph...

Too much fun everyone! Thanks for playing.. PLease keep it up.

Donald, you were talking about food so that is on topic here.

Jerry.....You are a joy!

Jill, Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......

While I was away, deep in the wee hours one night, my daughter and I launched our personal project "365 Days of Cooking With Alcohol."
In our first day we were visited by 7 countries!!!

Today's recipe, Orange Whisky Pork, made with Drambiue, features a bit about Donald Livingstone (The standard rescuer, not the Grandfathers) and a link to the Clan Website.

Just trying to spread the love......

Ginger
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

I found a recipe for Scotch Steaks...Trying it tonight and will let you know.

Has anyone made Scotch Eggs? They look amazing.
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

I've always wondered whether Scotch Eggs were actually like "French" fries--not really from Scotland at all. Does anyone know?

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
beadmom

Post by beadmom »

"The Scotch Egg is a weapon first used during the crusades by J.J. Christason. It consisted of an egg, soaked in Scottish Whisky and stuffed inside a pig's testicle and then fired at an advancing enemy using a long hollow tube. Its use by some Scottish knights who were present at the siege of Jerusalem in 1099 was taken up by the crusaders who were pleased to use a weapon that insulted Jews and Muslims in equal measure. Also the vapour given off by this weapon also inspired the subsequent bloodbath there."

OKay.. this whole thing is worth reading for the entertainment value alone..

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Scotch_egg

Possibly the real scoop

"A Scotch egg consists of a shelled hard-boiled egg, wrapped in a sausage meat mixture, coated in breadcrumbs, and deep-fried. Scotch eggs are commonly eaten cold, typically with salad and pickles. Contrary to popular belief (and despite being the butt of a number of comedians' jokes about the Scottish diet), Scotch Eggs were actually invented by the famous London department store, Fortnum & Mason, in 1738.[1] [2]"

Ginger