Livingstone name derivation

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Bachuil

Livingstone name derivation

Post by Bachuil »

On a seasonal topic I was reading the first epistle of St Peter and wondered if this might explain our surname.

The reason I say this is that we are an ecclesiastic clan, whose chiefs have been hereditary abbots for many centuries, and I wonder if this is a very ancient claim to represent that holy priesthood

1 Peter 2
Therefore laying aside all malice and all guile, and hypocrisy and envy and all evil speaking,

2 as newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the Word, that ye may grow thereby,

3 if so it be that ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious.

4 Coming to Him as unto a living stone, disallowed indeed by men, but chosen by God and precious,

5 ye also as living stones are built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

Food for thought

Regards

Niall
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Livingstone name derivation

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hello Baron Livingstone,

That is a very interesting theory and given your ancestor's eclesiastical background and likely familiarity with this New Testament passage, it is quite conceivable this was something that was considered at one time or another. It also could be used to explain why more recently in the last few hundred years, the Bachuil Maconlea/Livingstone family with their ancient eclesiasticial roots in Western Argyllshire have preferred the "Livingstone spelling of their name rather than the "Livingston" spelling. "Living Stone" is sometimes used by evangelical christian ministries probably drawing from this bible passage as well. Dr. Livingstone may have also have been familiar with it or someone mentioned it to him in correspondence.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Re: Livingstone name derivation

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Interesting idea!

Food for thought, certainly. Perhaps some research may at some point uncover some proof either way on this--I'd really love to know the mind of the Chiefs back during the name change!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com