Just to say Hello

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Jill Richmond

Re: Just to say Hello

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hello Donald,

It is extremely interesting about the list of tenants from 1730 to 1834. I shall try contact one of the members of the Luing History Group and see if it is possible to obtain a copy, but this won't be until after The Gathering.

I have found that there are 2 Macleas and 1 McLea buried in the kirkyard, but have not tracked down any MacOnleas. Part of the problem in looking at headstones is that earlier graves only had wooden markers and they rotted away. Later it became the custom to lay slate slabs over the graves, some of these were incised with initials and some plain. Some of the early slate headstones had suffered damage, almost certainly done by the weather, and had sheared off leaving a stump.Searching kirkyards can be a bit of a lottery, but I spent a very interesting morning at Kilchattan.

Regards,

Jill
Jill Richmond
rehartman

Earl of Breadalbane

Post by rehartman »

I too have seen a reference to the Earl of Breadalbane being the landlord of my Livingstone ancestors at Lagganmore, Kilninver, Argyl in 1770. Looking at those records would be on my list if I ever got to Scotland.
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hello Donald,

I did reply to your post, but it seems to have vanished into the ether. Just to say that I shall look into the possibility of finding the 1730 and 1834 list of tenants on the Isle of Luing. I shall ask my contacts on Luing and see if the Historical Group have a copy from which we can obtain a copy. I will let you know if I have any luck.

regards,

Jill
Jill Richmond
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hello rehartman,

Yes I am curious to the 1730 part of it for some of the other areas it covers as well as Luing and see if we can find some other Macleas and Maconleas. To bad we cant find one at that includes tenants for all of Argyll. Surprisingly though we have located alot of docments that contain the old clan name spelled in a number of interesting ways. Fartther back in the 1600's you see Dunslea and then Dunsleeve even Dunslaif in some Argyllshire records presumingly most of them our people before Maconlea and Maclea became the norm later on and our clansmen started to use Maconlea and Maclea as a family name in the highlands.

regards.

Donald
Wolkies

Hello again

Post by Wolkies »

Hi

I had posted 2 years ago I guess on the old board. I was killing time surfing around when I found this site again. I can't post to the old board.

I am a descendant of Angus Livingstone of Big Bras d'Or. In the old post, Francis Eyking asked if we were neighbors in Cape Breton.

Sharon
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Sharon,

Welcome to the Maclea Livingstone forum. Yes the old forum has been replaced by a new improved forum by our Chief Baron Niall Livingstone recently. We were able to save some of the old postings from the earlier forum and they are organized by discussion topic. I have also a file at home of info pertaining to your ancestor Angus Livingston and other Livingstons of Cape Breton and PEI. This is part of an effort to identify the early Livingstone pioneers of Canada. Your ancestor Angus Livingstone was one of the earliest Livingstones from Western Argyll in highland Scotland to settle on Cape Breton Island. We have currently have several people of Cape Breton Livingstone origin that visit our forum regularly and who are researching their Livingstone families who also may be of some assistance to you in your family research. Barry Judson connected to Cape Breton and PEI Livingstones has kindly saved our earlier forum postings from the old forum and some of them focussed on Atlantic Canada Livingstones. We are interested in contacting the Bras d'or Livingstones that are interested in their family history and in becoming a part of our Clan Society.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Sharon,

I was wondering which sons of old Angus Livingston of Boularderie Bras d'or, Cape Breton you descend. I know of Archibald 1804-1891 and his wife Jane Beaton, Alexander 1806-1894 and his wife Isabella. I believe they are buried in St. James Cemetery at Bras d'or. There was also a Roderick Livingston 1810-1870 who lived also lived at Boularderie a farmer and man of the sea.

I assume that Angus Livingston originated from Kilninian and Kilmore Parish at Mull, Argyllshire, Scotland rather than nearby Morvern as he named his grant of land "Kilninian". It is stated probably from an early land petition that Angus born abt. 1773 served in the Napoleonic War with the navy on the Royal George.

The British Archives are currently copying military related records that may contain information on Angus Livingston and other highland Livingstons that served in British military during the Napoleonic War period. In a year or two that information should be available on line from them on a searchable site.

regards,

Donald
Wolkies

Post by Wolkies »

Hi again

My immediate roots are to Big Bras d'Or. I copied this from Ann Capstick's geneology:

Angus LIVINGSTON
BIRTH: Cir 1773, Scotland [S000563]
CENSUS: 1838 - 1841, Boularderie,Victoria County,Cape Breton,Nova Scotia [S000085]
CENSUS: 1871, Boularderie,Victoria County,Cape Breton,Nova Scotia
BURIAL: Big Bras d'Or,CB,Nova Scotia

I traced the family tree up to this Angus Livingston. My Grandfather was Alexander Laughlin Livingston. Somewhere along the line, the "E" at the end of Livingston was dropped by some.

My father, Grandfather and lots of other Livingstons are burried in the St. James cemetary in Big Bras d'Or.

Sharon
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Sharon,
It was my understanding that your ancestor Alexander Livingston 1806-1894 his wife Isabella Deason 1810-1887 were buried at St. James Cemetery along with others of that Bras dòr Cape Breton Livingston family. Its great to have access to the old ancestral cemetery.

My Livingston family which originated across from Mull at Movern in West Argyllshire, Scotland not far from your Scottish ancestors also dropped the e. Given the fact your ancestor Angus b.1773 named his property at Bras dòr ``Kilninian`` after Kilninian Parish on the Isle of Mull it seems almost certain he came from Mull.

Are you in touch with any other descendants of Angus Livingstone from Bras dòr

regards,

Donald
Wolkies

Post by Wolkies »

No, not really much. I tend to be more of a private person generally. We do own the land in Big Bras d'Or through I guess fate? And it is I who digs the heals in for holding onto it.

My interest originally in Livingston/e ancestry was to figure out if there was a relationship between Melanoma (the deadly skin cancer) and my Scottish heritage. I know my 2nd cousin (Livingstone) died from it, another cousin has it as well as his son. I am a Melanona survior myself for 5 years now. There has been a lo of research tying Melanoma in some cases to Scottish ancestry. Not that I can do anything about it...it is what it is.

I came back to this forum the other day (now I'm going to sound like a fruitcake, lol) because of something that happened on Friday. I was with my Mom at Costco when she remarked about a gentlemen coming toward the car, that he looked like Harrision Livingstone (my Grandfather A.L. Livingston's brother). From my memory, he did look a lot like him. We then went shopping. After packing up the car, I looked ahead to find a van with "Welcome Home Harrison" written on it. Kinda freaky if you ask me, a sign perhaps? Of what?

Anyway, you have a very dedicated bunch here I see and that's nice :)

Sharon