Just to say Hello

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
donald david

Just to say Hello

Post by donald david »

Good day Livingstones;
I represent a new member of my Livingstone family. I currently live in Edmonton Alberta and ordered a Livingstone Kilt for my 50th birthday. I have always been keenly interested in the Livingstone clan, and hope to chat with you all.
Donald David Livingstone
Kyle MacLea

Re: Just to say Hello

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Welcome, Donald D. Livingstone!

Great to have you on the Forum and happy to hear you are taking pride in and interest in your heritage! Another Donald of the Livingstones, Donald Livingstone Clink, is our Clan Sennachie (Historian), and a fellow Canadian. I'm sure he will be happy to make your acquaintance!

Could you introduce yourself and your family over on the Ancestral Search part of our Forum? We would love to learn more about your family! You may also be interested in the DNA project as well, at some point!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Donald,

Welcome our new and improved forum. Congratulations. You are our first Albertan Livingston I think to visit the forum. In my capacity as the Clan Historian I work with Livingstones and Macleas that contact us and try to discover their ancestral origins. I am somewhat familiar with Scottish records but do alot of my research on Canadian Livingstones along with a number of other researchers of Canadian Livingston ancestry who visit this forum. You may want to start a new message in our Ancestral Search section of forum as Kyle was suggesting.

I am descended from Miles Livingstone b.1775 in Morvern Parish who later moved to the Isle of Islay in Argyllshire where left in 1812 and settled at Lord Selkirk's Red River Settlement. His log home was built at present day Douglas Point, Winnipeg,Manitoba along the Red River by the Fall of 1814. In 1815 due to the hostilies against the settlement perpetuated by the North West Company and their employees, Miles Livingston and family left for the safety and security of Upper Canada in the Summer of 1815 where he first located at Etobicoke Township, York County and in 1819 at Esquesing Township, Halton County.

Miles travelled by the Hudsons Bay Company vessel Robert Taylor in the Summer of 1812 to the Hudsons Bay post at York Factory on Hudsons Bay and from there the Red River settlers had another 700 or 800 mile journey south by small boat and canoe before they reached the forks of the Red River. With Miles was his wife Jessie (Janet) his son from his first marriage Donald Livingston (1796-1862) and a cousin? Donald Livingston (1785-1876) a boatbuilder like Miles who remained at the Selkirk Settlement from 1812 to about 1840 and later encouraged his father Neil, and most of his family livings on the Isle of Islay to settle at Red River in 1819. Before 1840 most of this family with the exception of Donald's son Neil had left for a homestead and farm in the State of Iowa.

I hope you can share with us what you know of your Livingston family history in Canada and Scotland. I am trying to keep track of all the original Livingstones/Livingstons who originally settled the provinces of Canada and am making some progress with that project.
regards,

Donald (Livingstone) Clink
Clan Maclea Livingstone Historian
SEUMAS

Post by SEUMAS »

HELLO - MY ANCESTORS CAME FROM LUING AND WERE LIVINGSTONES OR AT LEAST ONE WAS A MARY LIVINGSTONE WHO MARRIED A JAMES JOHNSTONE
THEY HAD A DAUGHTER MARY WHO MARRIED A PETER MAC PHAIL WHO HAD A SON JAMES MCPHAIL WHO MARRIED A MARY ELDER BORN 1806 PRESUMEBLY THE REST ARE BORN 1700 S JAMES MAC PHAIL HAD A SON THOMAS MCPHAIL BN 1837 MARRIED MARY MCDERMID BN 1847 DIED 1874 - MY GRANDMOTHER WAS BORN IN1865 CATHERINE MACPHAIL - NOW HERE IS THE INTERESTING BIT WHICH UNFORTUNATELY I CANNOT PROVE - ABOUT 40 YEARS AGO SOMEONE DOING RESEARCH INTO DAVID LIVINGSTONE SAID THAT OUR FAMILY MAY BE RELATED - UNTIL I GOT THE FAMILY TREE TEN YEARS AGO I HAD NO IDEA HOW THIS COULD BE - I NOW ASSUME THAT MARY LIVINGSTONE MAY HAVE BEEN THE SISTER OF DAVID LIVINGSTONE S GRANDFATHER OR THE PREVIOUS GENERATION BEFORE HIM - I HAD NO IDEA THERE WERE DOZENS OF PEOPLE TRYING TO FIND A CONNECTION BETWEEN LUING AND DAVID LIVINGSTONE AND I CAME UP WITH THIS 5 YEARS AGO.
ON ANOTHER SUBJECT DAVID LIVINGSTONE WILSON DIRECT DECENDANT AND GRANDSON OF EXPLORER DAVID LIVINGSTONE DIED IN HELENSBURGH A WEEK AGO 21 MARCH 1910 A THANKSGIVING SERVICE WAS HELD AT THE WEST KIRK HELENSBURGH WHERE I AM CHURCH OFFICER A LARGE NUMBER OF PEOPLE ATTENDED INCLUDING REPRESENTATIVES FROM AFRICAN EMBASSAYS AND CLOSE MEMBERS OF HIS FAMILY A COLLECTION WAS MADE FOR THE DAVID LIVINGSTONE MEMORIAL 165 STATION ROAD BLANTYRE G729BT
SEUMAS FERGUSON (Seumas' email has been removed from this message--contact Kyle if you need it)
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

hello Seumas,

Sorry that I did not notice your message from April. I wish I had. I try to respond to most of the messages when I can, but for some reason regretably I missed yours from a few months back. I will see if we have anything to further add about your family line. I was aware that Dr. Wilson was ill and the particulars of his illness but not aware that he had passed away in March. We are indeed to very sorry to learn about that. Thank-you for contacting us. I have posted a message on the forum yesterday informing the Clan Society and others of the passing of Dr. David Livingstone Wilson of Helensburgh a great-grandson of Dr. David Livingstone which you might find interesting. Please convey to the family, relatives and the congregation of your church our profound sorrow at learning that David has passed on.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Seumas,

I also didn't remember your message. Hope you come back and we can have more of a conversation--would love to know some more!

Thanks for your note, and sorry to hear about Dr. Wilson!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Guy--I moved your post from this topic to a new one!

See: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1065

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA