Just to say Hello

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
admin
Site Admin

Just to say Hello

Post by admin »

If you manage to register please drop by here and say Hello
Bachuil

Re: Just to say Hello

Post by Bachuil »

If you click on the list of Members you will see those registered.

This system allows you to send a private email so that you can make contact more easily.

I am happy to have some areas private, but as I hope that this will attract more people I would like as much public as possible.

You can go to your user control panel and upload an avatar. I have used my crest, but you could use a photo.
The Baron of Bachuil,
Coarb of St Moluag
Chief of MacLea
D.W.Livingston

Post by D.W.Livingston »

Hello Baron, and everyone.

I truly enjoy the idea of this new forum software and think it will help bring people in AND more importantly help people focus on the areas they are interested in (ie. DNA, Ancestors, the Gathering). This is an excellent 1st step and I am excited for it. :D
David Wyse Livingston
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hello Baron and All,

Part of the challenge in drawing people to our site is to realize that 99% of Livingstons worldwide do not know what a MacLea is and what connection the ancient highland Macleas have to the current highland Clan Livingstone. While many of us are familiar with McDhunsliebhe and Maclea history of highland Clan Maclea Livingstone most of the Livingstones out there who know little about their clans origins are in the dark as what a Maclea Livingstone is and when locating the Maclea Livingstone forum in the past may have thought wrongly that Maclea Livingstones were some other Livingstone family not connected to them. If in an internet search Livingstones/Livingstons are drawn to our site by doing a general Livingston search rather than simply a Maclea Livingston we would likely bring many more people to the site. Being able to access the site as clanlivingstone will be of great advantage I suspect in drawing many more people to this site and hopefully also to Andrew, Kyle and the DNA project.

regards,

Donald
craig

Post by craig »

Hi all,
Have successfully migrated to the new site. Hope to be more active in the future. Have been away for awhile exploring the ancestry of my dad's side of the family.
Craig McClay Wilson
vkadams

Hello All

Post by vkadams »

Hi to all of you....I have been eavesdropping as usual but haven't been up to much regarding the genealogy.....I look at the posts daily to see what all
of you are working on....After all, you are my family!
!
:ugeek:
Jill Richmond

Post by Jill Richmond »

Hello Everyone.

Just to make contact with you all, and to say that I think this new website is great. If anyone is interested in Livingston(e)s on the Isle of Luing or Craignish, please get in touch with me. I recently visited the Luing and visited the kirkyard of Kilchattan. A surprising number of Livingstons are buried here - 36 Livingstons and 7 Livingstones. These burials are from the eighteenth century until almost the present. Livingstones represent the third largest group of family burials. The Campbells being the most numerous followed by MacDougalls. I have obtained a book called Kilchattan Kirkyard listing the burials and other facts about Luing. For anyone interested this can be obtained from the Luing History Group which is a sub-group of the Isle of Luing Community Trust either as a bound copy or as a pdf file.

Regards to you all,

Jill
Jill Richmond
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jill,

Glad to see you found your way to the new site. That sounds awesome what you found at Luing. I would like check out that information. Clearly our Macleas were there for some time in significant numbers before the name change to Livingstone/Livingston. It would be interesting to learn their origins on the Island. It also interesting to note that there is 1730 list of Luing residents which includes our clan members at this time as Maclea and Maconlea apparently. Later in the 1834 list they are referred to as Livingston. I never had the chance to see these lists for myself but if you are ever visiting Luing again in the future perhaps you might see them and copy the names.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Virginia,

I know that you have enjoyed the discussions that take place in the forum in the past and we hope you will drop by often as you like and continue to contribute to these discussions at this new forum in the future. Hope the info on Peter Livingston of Port Appin and his kin from the old forum was helpful to your family research.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

HI Jill,

That 1730 and 1834 list of tenants from the Isle of Luing can be found in the Breadalbane Papers at the NAS in "Rentals of the Earl of Brendalbane in Netherlorn of 1730 and 1834. There are also a copy apparently on the Isle of Luing. It would be great if our Society could get a hold of a copy sometime. They also have a list a tenants names from 1669 that lived on Luing and other Islands in the vicinity that may include Dunsleas or Maconleas or a spelling variation of them. In the early records from this period there were numerous and interesting spelling variations of Dunslea. According to Archibald Campbell an Argyllshire scholar slea as in Drumslea originated from Sliebhe meaning mountain or mountain side. In reality as you may have seen in the early surviving records from the 1600's a great many spelling variations such Dunsleeve, Dunslaif etc. There were so many variations that the late Rob Livingston and I used to contact each other with excitement, now and then whenever we located a new one in some obscure document.

regards,

Donald