Mac-Lea at Culloden

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Kyle MacLea

Mac-Lea at Culloden

Post by Kyle MacLea »

This book contains what appears to be a semi-fictional account of an "Allan Mac-Lea" or "Mhic-Lea" at Culloden and afterwards. It's long, but might be worth reading. It is entirely unclear to me with a quick look where the Mac-Lea is from, but a "Clan-Lea" is mentioned.

http://books.google.com/books?id=P6Q2AA ... le&f=false

If you search for any of the above names it will take you directly there. I decided to link to the beginning though.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Mac-Lea at Culloden

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Kyle,

A letter to Bonnie Prince Charlie from Captain Charles Stewart of the Appin Regiment refers to Macleas in his casualty list. I think this letter may be in the Stuart Papers. Later the earliest clan book I found from the 1830's refers in its information on Clan Stewart to a Donald Mac ant Leigh rescueing the banner at Culloden. At the time this book was written there would still be children of Culloden vets still living who would have lots of stories. The monument in Appin listing casualties of the regiment refers to Mclea or Livingstone I think but that marker was fashioned in the 19th century and not in the mid 1700's when probably to do so would probably been prohibited.

As far as where the Macleas that participated at Culoden that is well documented. One source is Baron Alastairs Livingston's book No Quarter Given which is a comprehensive listing of all of the Clans that participated in the 1745 rebellion. Only the highland Macleas or Livingstones that served in the Appin Regiment are mentioned and as we know it was these Macleas that were on the battlefield with the Appin Stuarts, McColls etc in the APpin Regiment on that day in April 1745. Many of these Macleas were from Appin, Ballachulish, Lismore mostly and perhaps a few from Morvern/Mull. I have no information on other Bute Macleas but I think they may have joined up with other Jacobite regiments in Scotland or being in close proximity to Campbells or married to Campbells may have supported the
Government against the rebels. I have no information on Bute Macleas or the ones in Eastern Argyll being Jacobites or with the Government. I have no actual information on which side they supported during the rebellion.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Yes, unfortunately, it is very difficult to find any additional information on who formed a large part of both armies. Pity!

Anyway, I thought those who were interested might give this book a read and see if they can glean anything from it.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,

Baron Alastair Livingston worked on a list of officers and enlisted men included Maclea Livingstones that served in Appin Regiment for the book No Quarter Given which I strongly reccomend to anyone interested in the 1745 Rebellion. He indicated that he drew from various sources for his list as there is unfortunately no 18th century detailed muster roll for the Appin Regiment that lists the names of the officers and enlisted men including Stewarts, McColls, Maclea Livingstones etc. The list that was submitted to Charles Edward Stuart just lists all of the clans that participated but no names of individual officers or enlisted men.One of the best books on the Battle of Culloden and one which mentions acknowledges the contribution of Mcleas and Livingstones in the Appin Regiment is John Prebble's book Culloden published in the early 1960's. You can probably get a used copy on line without too much difficulty.

There is a Thomas McLea that served with the Earl of Cromartie on the Jacobite side according to the Baron's book. It does not say where he came from, but it appears that he served with others in that regiment listed as being from the Ross and Cromarty, Dingwall, Lochbroom area and we know that there was a branch of the highland Macleas that settled in that area and which I found in my census research still resided in these areas in the 1800's. There was a Macleay researcher in the States in the 1990's who found some info on this branch of Macleas or Macleays that lived in the Rosshire and Cromarty area as you may recall in Contin Parish.

Baron Alastair`s book also indicates that Lord Lovat's Clan Fraser also had Neil Macaulay a tailor from North Uist with them probably at the Battle of Falkirk and Culloden and may have recruited other Macaulay and Maclea clansmen from that area of Scotland. My research indicates that the Macleas and Macaulays that live in that area are two distinct clans and the Macaulays also seem to subscribe to that view. The Macleas or Macleays as they sometime spelled it were an offshoot of Appin Mcleas that left Appin long ago so the story goes. We also have some info on these `lost`Appin Mcleas but these appear to be distinct from a people calling themselves Macaulays at least as far as I can tell from their own accounts.

Its all so long ago and I am no expert on Macaulay clan origins to say yes or no. McCauleys and Cauleys are again of totally differnt origin being Irish with some settling in industrialized area of Scotland in the 1800's. The census records also indicate their Irish rather than Scottish origins. So while McAulay or McCauley sounds similiar they may not be connected to our highland Macleas.

regards,
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Canadian Livingstone wrote:McCauleys and Cauleys are again of totally differnt origin being Irish with some settling in industrialized area of Scotland in the 1800's. The census records also indicate their Irish rather than Scottish origins. So while McAulay or McCauley sounds similiar they may not be connected to our highland Macleas.
I would say that that is true for the majority of the Clan.

As it happens, my own DNA cluster includes weak matches with McCauley/McColly men. So, I think there are a few isolated cases where the names may originate from MacLea-type names. Probably this is due to a move to Ireland on the way to North America. That seems likely with these folks, at least.

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
New Hampshire, USA
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Kyle,

That may be the case but I think we have ruled out that you are an Irish McLea especially since you have pretty much determined the Bute and Argyll origins of your Mclea/Maclea family. I am still trying to piece together this possible migration from Eastern Argyll to Rothesay, Bute, but I am pretty certain these Rothesay Mcleas originated from Eastern Argyll and migrated into a few of the parishes there as well. Presumingly there is some LInsaig Mclea connection to all this and to the old family but I am no expert on McLeas or Maclea by any means.

regards,

Donald