Cape Breton Genealogy & Historical Association

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Cape Breton Genealogy & Historical Association

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

HI Jewel,

The Mary Livingston you mentioned that married a McDonald in 1825 was a sister of Laughlin, Archibald, Alexander and Roderick Livingston of Big Bras d'or, Victoria County, Cape Breton I understood.
regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

Thank you for that, I was wondering who she fit in with.

I don't think I posted this record before. It is for a census 1838-1841, on Microfilm M-3136 for Port Hood, Inverness County.

LIVINGSTON

John: 3 M. over 14, 4 F. over 14 Total 8

John: 1 M. under 6, 2 F. under 6, 1 M. Under 14, 1 F.under 14, 1 F. over 14, Total 7

John: 2 M.over 14, 4 F. over 14 Total 7

Malcolm: 2 M.under 6, 1 F. under 6, 3 M. under 14, 1 F. under 14, 4 F. over 14.
Total: 14

Jewel
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello everyone,

I just found a site that is new to me. Thought I would post it in case someone else hasn't seen it either.

FREECEN

U.K. Census on Line. http://freecen.rootsweb.com/ for census years 1841-1891.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

HI Jewel,

Thanks for that.

regards,

Donald
sandylivingston

Post by sandylivingston »

i'm new here but did find this..........John Livingstone, a Roman Catholic, arrived on PEI in July 1806 aboard the Brig Humphries, via Tobormory. John was the only Livingstone on the boat. He was listed as being 20 years old. Perhaps because Lord Selkirk treated Roman Catholics the same way as in Scotland John found his way to Cape Breton, which was not part of Nova Scotia; at that time. It is not known where in Scotland he came from but he named his land grant Staffa, and this family had a tradition of being indirectly related to Dr Livingstone. John lived and died and was buried on Low Point, Cape Breton. He died August 24, 1859. His will is dated February 1853 and mentions his sons John, Laughlin, Alexander and Donald (AKA Daniel or D.D.) and daughters Ann and Catherine as well as Donald McIntryre; who married daughter Johanna. His wife called herself Christy but, was either Christine or Christina. John Seniors son, John, died May 1, 1900. His obituary was published in the newspaper named the Casket: in it was mentioned that his father, John married a Miss McPhee. It also mentioned that John Jr. was born June 7, 1807..............