Cape Breton Genealogy & Historical Association

Public forum that can be read by anyone. Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and this one for other topics.
Forum rules
Use the Ancestral Search forum for discussion of researching ancestors or family relationships and the General Discussion forum for other topics.
Jewel

Re: Cape Breton Genealogy & Historical Association

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

This information seems familiar to me so exscuse me if it has already been posted.

Service Roll of Captain Hugh Watts Company
10th military Division
2nd Regiment Cape Breton Militia

John Livingstone age 39, born Scotland resideing in Little Juduque,weaver, 300 acres,Licensed
1 Woman,1 boy, 5 girls, total in household 8.

Jewel
Last edited by Jewel on Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roberta Ann

Post by Roberta Ann »

Hi Jewel;

Yes, Mr. Watts is a familiar name and here is where you probably heard his name.

Item no: 1011 Mfm no: 15791

Grantee: Livingstone, John Year 1814

Petition to Swayne: Petitioner was born in Scotland and came to Port Hood, with his family, in 1805. Mr. Hugh Watts placed petitioner on a lot of land and afterwards relinquished the lot to him, 300 acres at Little Judique. The land is licenced to Mr. Watts and the petitioner asks a lease in his own name. A second petition, undated, states that he purchased the lot from Mr. Watts and asks another lot for fire wood. He has six children. Report of Crawley to Smyth: 340 acres on Little Judique River. Plan.

Regards;

Roberta
Canadian Livingstone

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi Jewel,

Yes that would be pioneer settler John Livingston of Judique in Inverness County, Cape Breton. His only surviving son Malcolm died sometime before 1881 and is listed in the 1871 Census at Port Hood. Nice to have those original records to confirm his age and when he and when his family arrived. Nothing quite like original records when you are lucky enough to find them.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

I have already posted the Livingston's of Wycocomagh for the year 1861 in a previous post, so I won't duplicate them here.

These are Livingstones that I came across in Mabou and Port Hood for Inverness County in the 1861 Census

Taken from the National Archives Microfilm also #876

Mabou, Inverness County

Catherine Livingston 3 males and 6 females.

Kitty Livingston 3 males and 4 females

Flora Livingston 0 males and 2 females

Jane Livingston 4 males and 4 females

Port Hood

Malcolm Livingston 7 males and 7 females

I also noticed a census for 1838 and there is a John Sr. and John jr.Livingston with thier neighbor of Angus McPhee. I think this is Roberta and my Livingstones so I won't post them. And in 1838 there are the Boulardarie Livingstones, Alexander,angus and Archibald, but I think that family is well documented.

There are also many parish records with various dates and I will also take a look through news paper information that is listed.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

It may prove fruitless but I would like someday to trace what land transactions took place regarding the Mull River Livingstons following that squatter info. I am curious if threre neighbours were squatters also.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

Yes it would be interesting to see the Livingstone land transactions for Mull River. In my post on page #1 I wrote what the Society had as an explanation of these squatters. It did not always mean they were destitute as we would first think, just that the government gave them that name until they were able to allow the transaction to go through. they had a back log problem, and some of the squatters died before the transaction even took place.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,
Thanks for finding that Squatting record on John Livingston Jr. 1808-1860 of S.E. Mabou (Mull River) In later census records they are listed in Glencoe District rather than Mabou or Mull River for some reason DR St. Clair pointed out but they are still infact living at Mull River. See the census records I posted the other day for Roberta from 1881, 1891 and 1901 with the widow Old Kate and her son Hugh and others.
As mentioned in earlier postings my theory is that Barry's ancestor Colin Livingston was the brother of Alexander Livingston b.1815 in Mull, Scotland that also lived at Whycocomagh. Furthermore I also believe that Colin and ALexander are younger brother's of John Livingston Jr. b. 1800 or more likely abt. 1808 who squatted at neighbouring Mull River with his wife Catharine Livington (1807-1912) b. PEI said by Dr. St. Clair to be of the Nine Mile Creek PEI Livingstons. So I am suggesting that Barry;s ancestor Colin, Alexander of Whycocomagh and John Livingson Jr. of Mull were brothers and sons of a John Livingston Sr 1773- abt. 1840 and his wife Catharine Campbell of Penmore, Kilninian and Kilmore who according to Mull records left Mull in 1821 for Pictou Nova Scotia. They had several children according to the records including interestingly enough sons JOhn, ALexander and Colin. I presume after spending some time in Pictou then settled in 1824 at Mull River. This is at variance with the view that John Livingston and Mary Campbell settled at Mull RIver with other children.

regards,

Donald
Jewel

Post by Jewel »

Hello Donald,

I have been looking through some of parish records and saw a couple of early records that might be of interest .

From St. George's Parish,First Garrison Church in Sydney Nova Scotia.

A marriage for a MARY LEVISTON and ARCHIBALD McDONALD Feb.13,1825. I looked through my Livingstone family records and found no connection. Unfortunately it did not give parents names or witnesses.

A marriage for ALEXANDER LIVINGSTON and _____DISSON Feb. 10,1833
( I have an old family tree that was given to me. This Alexander Livingston (ship builder)is on the tree and it states Alexander was born abt. 1808 and d.1890, his wifes name is Isabel Dawson. According to this tree his father was a Angus Livingston and came to Cape Breton in 1816, but I cannot speak for accuracy of this family tree)

Also for myself, I found the baptism of John Livingstone June 11,1807 parents John Livingstone and Christie McPhee, also at St. Georges Parish in Sydney,Nova Scotia. So I have another confirmation of my GGGG grandparents who came from Scotland.

Jewel
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Jewel,

Yes I would the say that the ALexander Livingston in that marriage could be ALexander of son Angus Livingston b.1773 a napoleonic war veteran who came to Cape Breton about 1816 and settled at on the west side of Boularderie at Big Bras dòr, Boularderie Island, Victoria County, Cape Breton. Alexander Livingston (1806-1894) is buried at the cemetery there with his wife Isabella Dewson. THat is probably who they are referring to.I should make a note that Alexander and Isabella were married February 10, 1833 in Sydney, Nova Scotia at St. Georges Parish. As yet we have no one tested in the DNA project who is descended from Angus or his sons who lived in the Bras dòr area. Living with Angus at Big Bras d'or were 4 sons Laughlin Livingston (1799-?) went back to Scotland according to the records, Archibald Livingston (1804-1891) who married Jane Beaton, Alexander Livingston(1806-1894) who married Isabella Dewson and Roderick Livingston (1810-1870) who married Flora (Flora Sutherland?) born abt. 1813 according to the 1901 Census. She outlived Roderick by many years. Roderick I think was a sea captain or sailor. One or two descendants of Big Bras d'or Livingstons have contacted the forum from time to time. Archibald and Jane and Alexander and Isabella and other Big Bras do'r Livingstons are buried at St. James Presbyterian Cemetery.

regards,

Donald
Kyle MacLea

Post by Kyle MacLea »

Great finds!

Kyle=
Kyle S. MacLea
Clan Society Life Member; DNA Project Co-Admin
New Hampshire, USA
kyle -dot- maclea -at- gmail -dot- com