Canadian Livingstones

Public Forum for anyone interested in tracing their roots.
Forum rules
Remember that this forum is publicly accessible. Do not share private information that you wish to remain private on the Ancestral Search forum.
Canadian Livingstone

Re: Canadian Livingstones

Post by Canadian Livingstone »

Hi John,
Forbes obviously became a popular name amongst these Aberdeen family of Livingstons because of Mrs John Livingston (Isabella Forbes). It began when John Livingston and Isabella Forbes named their eldest son born in 1818 Charles Forbes Livingston and their youngest son Forbes Livingston b. abt. 1837.

I discovered yesterday there was will of Isabella Forbes. I am hoping there is one for her husband John Livingston who apparently died sometime after the 1841 census but before the 1851 Census. I have not seen Isabella's complete will but it was probated two years after her death in Aberdeen in 1856 and it looks like she left everything to her eldest Charles Forbes Livingston. A will for her husband John Livingston would be useful in detemining the date or at least the year it which he passed away. There are so many FOrbes Livingstons in Aberdeen in the 1800's connected to this family it hard to keep track of them. Charlotte also had a brother named Forbes. Forbes Livingston born in 1837 son of John Livingston and Isabella Forbes also had a son named Forbes I think who was a witness to his death in 1892 if I recall correctly. And of course Charlotte Livingston's son born in 1918 who came with her to Canada was named Douglas Forbes Livingston (Douglas Forbes Allen). What do you think John? This has be Charlotte's Livingston's Kin, this john Livingston and Isabel Forbes family group don't you think? You may have noticed in one of my earlier postings that I was able to find John Livingston and Isabel Forbes marriage record from 1816 in Old Marchar Parish in Aberdeen a few years before their eldest son Charles Forbes Livingstone was born but unfortunately if gave no information as to who John's parents were. As mentioned I suspect that the PEter Livingston that like JOhn and isbella Livington lived in the early 1800's in Inverurie, Aberdeen and by the early 1840's ended up in the CIty of Aberdeen are brothers and I know from peters death record who his parents were and that PEter and his parents were not from Aberdeenshire but originated in Strathmiglo, Fifeshire. Cant of course prove a definite family connection between Peter and JOhn Livingston with birth records for John because we dont have them. Anyways whatever I found regarding John Livingston and his family is in all these postings. FOr now I would be happy if this John Livngston and Isabell Forbes family group in Aberdeen proves to be Charlotte's family. I am pretty much convinced that it is.

regards,

Donald
Canadian Livingstone

Hi John,

It is interesting that there are several records for the Forbes Livingston born abt. 1837 or 1838 in Inverurie living in Aberdeen dated 1866, 1867,1870 and 1872 indicating he travelled to New South Wales,Australia but apparently returning home to Aberdeen. In the 1891 Census Forbes Livingston born in Inverurie is back with the family in St. Nicholas parish, Aberdeen. He then died in 1892 and in the 1901 Census you see his wife May Livingstone (May Fides) living with her four daughters and recorded as "living on her own mean". This Forbes Livingston was the youngest son of John Livingston and Isabella Forbes of Aberdeen. He would have been the Uncle of Charlotte Livingston's father William Livingston born abt. 1855.

regards,

Donald
Druske

Post by Druske »

Hi Donald; I apologize to no end for my lack of response to your many posts to my query. I found them just recently, and as of last night (March 12, 2020) now have access to this forum again. And I'm so thankful for this!
So...WOW! I am astounded at how much information you have found on our limb of the Livingstone clan. I cannot thank you enough. Once I digest this information, I'd love to reconnect with you to help me fine tune my information. Would this be ok? I am so excited to immerse myself in this again; I've been lost trying to find information that you've been providing.
Please accept my sincerest thanks for everything you've done for me!
With huge respect,
Robin :)
Canadian Livingstone

Hi Robin,
Hope you and yours are keeping well during these difficult and challenging times.
Happy to have been some help. In the past there were a great many wonderful Livingston/Livingstone family researchers such as yourself contributing to the Forum and in sharing their Livingston family info, assisting others and whose efforts have helped immeasurably to further an understanding of the origins of many Livingston families over the years, the Forum has been around.

The Scottish parish record information regarding your kin was all pretty much sourced via Scotlands People which includes a treasure trove of a variety of Scottish records. Not all records have survived, but many are there with luck and of course if one knows where their relatives lived in Scotland in the 1700's, 1800's and early 1900's. You can do a search on Scotlands People for a specific family record and once having finding it and access the original record and access a copy of it online or get a high resolution copy of it printed on quality paper and sent to you by mail via Scotlands People. The Scotlands People website is very helpful and I found it easy to use and figure out and I am easily baffled by computers and the internet. The best place to access the Scottish Parish and available Census records for those who had Livingston ancestors residing in Scotland in the 18th, 19th and early 20th century and want to connect with the original birth or baptism, marriage and death records. I recommend Scotland Peoples.

Ancestry.com also an invaluable source for family records and family trees. Access to an amazing and incredible number of original family related records from a variety of sources. One has to be careful with submitted family tree infos there because as helpful as they can be and have been, there is frequent family info errors, so in the end one should always try and verify the info in submitted shared family trees.The passing on of family genealogy errors I have come across quite a bit online in almost all of the families I have been researching over the last 25 years. On the other hand many people over the years related to me have kindly shared their family tree info and helped me to make progress in my own family research so it is definitely beneficial to share family tree info and I would not discourage it. Just watch out for any possible errors should they turn up.

Working with the original family records is the ideal thing but of course there are a lot of family records that no longer survive. Sometimes it is just luck and I have found the odd time, a rare original family record in an archives from the 19th or 18th century that was lost back in the old days. I have had a few moments like that in archives finding a lost family record that was a moment of excitement. Now a days there are an amazing amount of records available online that one does pretty much does not have get out of their living room chair. In the old days it was going through dusty files or spending days going searching for records on microfilm readers cranking the reels still your hand fell off or till you got a bad case of eye strain from trying to search through page upon page of old microfilmed documents. Also lots of writing letters of inquiry to distant relatives, other researchers and genealogist, historical societies etc. That was my world before internet genealogy came along. Family research is now so much simpler for millions of people who own a computer. In minutes you can potentially find what years ago took years. Many people today have no idea what family genealogy was like prior to the internet. A lot of hard work, but back then I had the energy, enthusiasm and patience.

Hopefully you can source some original family related record of interest mentioned in past discussions here through Scotlands People. Thank-you for sharing your Livingston family information. That was very much appreciated and I was glad that you found the info mentioned regarding your family of some help to family research effort.

regards,

Donald